A tip for deterring rats

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
albertajune
Legendary Laner

A tip for deterring rats

Post by albertajune »

Being right in the country with fields and farms all around, we do have a problem with rats. A worry when you have chooks which can attract them.
A neighbour recently called in the rodent catcher who gave him a good tip. He explained about rat runs, which can go for a long way and my neighbours home was on a rat run. He was told that all rats will smell the run and use it for generations. The simple tip was to mix Jeyes Fluid with a little water and put it in a spray. It then has to be sprayed all around the area that needs protecting, ie around the bottom of the chicken run and especially into the hole where rattie is coming up if you can find it. This is to take away the rat smell. He does this regularly and hasn't seen a rat or a sign of one for ages.
Don't know myself if it works but my neighbour swears by it so worth a try if you have rat problem. Don't know about mice but can't see why not.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: A tip for deterring rats

Post by Cheshire Chick »

That's a good tip June and definitely one to remember - thanks.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Good tip, thanks for that. We'll try it if we get another visitor )like(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Next door's rats have disappeared for the time being, but if we find them coming into our garden again, I will remember this tip. Thanks for it June.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I saw a rat on Monday and was trying to work out how to deal with it. Reluctant to call the rat man again. Once the rain stops }hairout{ I will try this
Thanks
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks June. May give it a go )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I don't personally know if it works but according to the rat man, it kills the scent of other rats who have been there before especially if there is a rat run. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.