Poorly Hen with Very High Temperature

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Poorly Hen with Very High Temperature

Post by stripeddonkey »

My two year old Speckled Sussex seemed fine yesterday but today is very unwell. Not wanting to move much, practically not eating. I thought initially she was broody because when I locked her out the coop and run she was shouting to get back in. When I let her back in she sat in a nest box for an hour then came back out into the run and stood looking disinterested and generally unhappy. She laid an egg yesterday. Took her to the vet who couldn't find much wrong except she has a raging temperature - to quote the vet, it is off the scale. The said her stomach was a bit 'weird' but had a feel inside and couldn't feel anything untoward. She has bee given injections of antibiotic "Synulox" (clavulanate-potentiated amoxicillin) and painkiller Metacam. I have to start giving these orally from tomorrow. She has had some water herself and picked at some pellets/corn mix and ate a few little pieces of fishy cat food. She isn't interested in any treats that she would normally love such as water melon or grapes. She is in a pen indoors with a window open to try to keep it cool. Could this be egg yolk peritonitis even although she layed yesterday. My vet doesn't really know what it could be and is really just working on getting her temp down and fighting off any infection there might be.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Poorly Hen with Very High Temperature

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am so sorry to hear your hen is poorly, bless her and you. {hug}
I cannot suggest anything, but am sure someone with more knowledge will be on here soon. I hope she recovers quickly.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi SD

It sounds a bit weird to be EYP, especially if she's laying. I assume she's been laying regularly with no problems?

I think in the absence of a diagnosis, getting the temp down is probably the best course of action. She probably has an internal infection somewhere. Even if it is EYP if it's caught early enough it can be treated if the infection doesn't take hold so fingers crossed the AB works.

Have there been any symptoms at all recently? Any sniffles or anything? I assume her crop is ok as well. It could even be something as simple as a softie, although if she does have a temp that wouldn't explain it. Keep us posted and good luck - you may have to syringe the meds into her. Just make sure she keeps drinking, she'll need the fluids if she has a high temp
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I agree with Karen, I've had hens with high temperatures when they have infections, & they've recovered with the meds. The metacam is important, this will help bring down the temperature. What are her poops like? that can be a clue sometimes.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , watch her weight - vet may have weighed her to give correct doseage .
Feed her sweet corn frozen-defrosted . open beak and flick in . Easiest food that I know . Pellets need washing down as stick in throat . massage her crop as well . she needs all the help to digested it .
If she does not eat and or drink her body function will give up .
More food in her and water more chance of the meds to work . Do not give up as sometimes miracles happen .
Let us know how you get on . Any tricks or things that work are always handy to use in the future .
Keep her in doors / separate and easy to watch . If she has an infection she pass on to other hens etc. Like a new born baby she may need regular feeding little and often .
If she eats on her own that is best . Some times a little encouragement gets them started .
Bob
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Any update on your little hen?
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear that you have a poorly hen. It always amazes me when one minute they can be fine and in the blink of an eye they look poorly. I have, unfortunately, had a couple of hens with EYP and in my (limited) experience if she has laid an egg I do not think it could be that. EYP starts off as internal laying and the egg yolk goes into the abdominal cavity, instead of the correct route. It's an awful thing and one that I dread happening very much. Do hope she goes on OK, let us know please.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hows she doing?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/