Going to lose Rosie

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Going to lose Rosie

Post by albertajune »

I have a feeling that I am going to loose my last lovely girl Rosie. When I had 3 hens she was at the bottom of the pecking order and only found her feet since being on her own. She has free run of the garden and usually follows me around, especially if raking or digging.
I have thought for few days that she is slowing down but has still enjoyed her treats and been normal other than a bit slower. Instead of rushing up the path to me I have had to call her before she has appeared. Today she is looking very sad. Just standing around with her tail down, eyes looking a bit closed, even when open, and doing what looks like pecking with her beak. She hasn't been at all interested in treats but did eat a little grated cheese this morning. Haven't seen her drinking but there is plenty of fresh water about. By the way her tail is up when she walks which isn't often.
She is now either 7 or 8 but always seemed such a young girl. At the moment she is in the shade with a water bowl. I have decided to leave her alone and peaceful and see what happens. I hope that if it is her time to go she goes quickly. Hope I am doing the right thing but don't want to mess her about.
The strange thing is, I dreamed last night that I was walking around my garden looking for a good place to bury her. It will have to be somewhere special for this special little hen.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.

HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Going to lose Rosie

Post by HedgeHugger »

Could she be egg bound?
I have 2 ladies left, neither have been prolific egg layers, but one has been laying occasionally (once or twice a weekish) this year, but the other Beryl... she tried poor sausage.

She was looking miserable, had been sitting in the hutch, nothing doing. Looked really miserable and we thought it could be the end for her. Not really interested in food, quietly sitting in the garden, not interested in anything. Like yours, when she walked she was tail up.
As a last resort we tried giving her a warm bath, just in case. Ended up being about 5 baths and resulted in about 10 inches of soft egg shell being helped out. That was an experience!

She actually took to the bath really well, so much so she dozed off! She seemed to like the hair dryer too.

My ladies are 7 this year. They had a really short laying season last year, both stopped before the end of July, lazy moos! didn't start to lay 'til March this year.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

She only laid 2 eggs this year and then stopped. I have had other chooks with this problem but she doesn't seem the same. I might try the bath any way )t'
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

No advice to give, but have a HUGE {hug} from me.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thanks Gwen. Well I gave her a belly bath which she was fine with but hated the noise of the hair drier so she went back out damp which probably cooled her down.
I think that the heat may be her problem. About 5mins ago I put a bowl of her food and bird seed down and she is still eating it. The garden is now completely shaded and she seems happier. Fingers crossed!!
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Sounds good, hope she keeps on picking up. Such a relief when it looks like things are getting back to normal.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

She hasn't come out of her chook house this morning and not looking at all well. I don't know if chickens have another eye lid come over but her eyes are almost closed and tail down.
I have decided that I will leave her in peace where she is. She has fresh water in with her but not interested. If she is going then I hope it is sooner than later as I don't want her to suffer. There is nothing obviously wrong with her so I think her time is maybe here. I'm not taking her to a vet as the vets are not very knowledgeable with chickens. The last girl that I took I was advised to have her PTS as she was also old.
I never thought that chickens could get to me like this before I had them. {cry}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw June I have loved reading about your
Lovely little Hen Solo Rosie. I quite agree
Dragging her upto vets with little knowledge
Would not be the best for her. I hope your
Little darling goes peacefully but lets
Hope it is the heat so she’s getting lots
Of good wishes sent to her. As we all
Know too well they have a great knack
For winding their way into our hearts
Xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

{hug} {hug}
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ahhh, sorry to hear she isn’t so good. I think at her age, it’s kinder to let her be in a familiar place, rather than carted off to the vet. My eldest is 6 now, and I’m really attached to her. She was bought for me as a present when I got a job as a piemaker (remember that?!)

Hope she perks up x
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

She certainly reached quite an age for a chook & from what you describe does sound like she's fading. Luckily for her she is so well cared for. Perhaps she has a tumour somewhere, quite a few of mine have ended that way. If you think she's in pain you could give her 1/2 ml of metacam if you have any - I usually put in on a little bit of bread.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

She is such a marvellous age. The eldest chicken I have had nearly made it to 4 years. Because I have always had hybrids, I seem to always have had problems with their laying, i.e. EYP. Whatever their age it really does hurt when we lose them. I have broken my heart over my lost girls and vowed never to have any more. However, they are such a joy to have and are so addictive, I have always ended up getting more. I reason that if they only have a couple of years with me, I am giving them a couple of years of freedom and love - but this still doesn't take away the hurt. I hope Rosie goes on OK, but whatever happens she will have had a marvellous life with you and you should be so proud that you've looked after her so well and she has reached this fabulous age.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I did take Rosie to a vet as she started having trouble with her breathing. The vet said that he tummy felt really hard which could be a case of her being egg bound. Treatment for this is not always successful. She offered to do an X-Ray but said that with her breathing and her eyes becoming swollen she wasn't sure what the problem was as she ruled out all the obvious and needed a second opinion.
I decided to let her go and put her out of any pain that she was in. Her body will have to be sent away for examination so I can't bury her with all her other sisters.
I have had chickens for a few years now, usually 3 or 4 at a time. Because I am now an oldie I did not get any more and Rosie has been more like a pet for the last 3yrs. When we had the other girls she was always at the bottom of the pecking order but being on her own really developed her personality. She was the sweetest girl who followed me about every where. I will miss putting her to bed at night with the usual "night night Rosie, sweet dreams." and hearing her little chuckle back. Hope she is now at peace and am I already missing her dreadfully.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh June, I feel so sad for you because I can tell she's been a real companion. Take comfort in that she had a lovely long life with you {hug}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

So sorry June {hug} {hug}