Broody!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Broody!

Post by KathJ »

We've been keeping hens now for 6 years and have never had one go broody until this weekend. Out smallest Cheshire Blue Holly is sitting in the next box all fluffed out and like she's in a trance. After reading other posts on DTL I just picked her up, took the eggs away and put her outside and it's like she shakes herself out of the trance and gets on with being a chicken >ch< Hopefully it won't last too long as we're out in the day so can't keep moving her as yesterday she went back into the coop two or three times!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Broody!

Post by Gwenoakes »

Good luck with it being short lived......our first this time to go broody is now on 60 something days and still showing no signs of giving it up.
Have tried turfing her off the nest umpteen times a day, locking her out of the hen house, all to no avail, so now am just leaving her to get on with it. I now have 4 that are broody and as I only have 7 chooks more than half.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Oh my word, think we've been lucky then with this being our first broody {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

KathJ wrote:Oh my word, think we've been lucky then with this being our first broody {rofwl}

I have only had my 7 ladies since October and so not a year yet too. If anything human or animal goes OTT then it does it with us, Kath. We have very much learnt over the years to deal with the unusual/different and unique. LOL