Broody hens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Megsmum
Learner Laner

Broody hens

Post by Megsmum »

Hi there. New to site

I live in Spain. We have 12 hens regular browns and greys. Two Cochins and a male and female Brahma. The two Cochins and Brahma have all gone broody together. A friend arrived two days ago with 15 fertile eggs from his blue and green egg layers. I wasn’t ready for them but they’re now under the girls who have setttled into the main coup which is large. They come out once a day for food and water and then promptly return to the eggs. I tried moving them to another house but they’re not having it :oops: My Plan is to let them get on with it and once babies are born then move them to the other houses. I’ve got two areas and I can create another temporary one

I would prefer to leave them all together with main flock but obviously there’s a danger with that.

I’ve never reared my own before so any guidance and advice gratefully received.

My chickens doors is open permanently, so my hens are pretty well in and out at will, as I have two dogs a Spanish Mastín and a Border collie who are working dogs and protect all my livestock at night. Never lost a hen or a goat yet.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Broody hens

Post by Gwenoakes »

Can't help with any advice, but hopefully someone will see your post and be able to help. Welcome to the lane.
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

I had a broodie last year that hid in a bush in the main pen she just came trotting out with 8 chicks I just moved her into a netted pen once they hatched because I was worried the crows would take the babies. When the chicks where about 6 weeks old she had had enough so went back in the main group with out any trouble and the chicks stayed in the netted pen till they where big enough that the crows wouldn't get them then they joined the main group and where fine.
Megsmum
Learner Laner

Post by Megsmum »

Great that’s what I will do, see no point in disturbing Mother Nature at this point
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I recommend being ready to move them into their own runs if needed & keep a close eye. I had 2 hens hatch at the same time once & the mums, that normally get along fine, fought viciously when the chicks arrived. They were in separate runs too, but one would fly into the others run & attack her. I'm not sure how common that is. I've always found that once the chicks were about a week or so old I'd let them all out in the garden & the others (including the cockerel) were fine with them, but they always had their own coop/nestbox to sleep in.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Megsmum
Learner Laner

Post by Megsmum »

kitla wrote:I recommend being ready to move them into their own runs if needed & keep a close eye. I had 2 hens hatch at the same time once & the mums, that normally get along fine, fought viciously when the chicks arrived. They were in separate runs too, but one would fly into the others run & attack her. I'm not sure how common that is. I've always found that once the chicks were about a week or so old I'd let them all out in the garden & the others (including the cockerel) were fine with them, but they always had their own coop/nestbox to sleep in.

Thanks I’ll do that
scbk
Lively Laner

Post by scbk »

I would say the sooner you can move them into separate accommodation, the better. Easy enough to do at night.

Bare in mind once the chicks are born they need their own food - chick crumb, then growers pellets.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That is a good point, you dont want the chicks eating the layers pellets (too much calcium)
That's another reason to seperate them.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, when I needed to catch a flighty hen I found I could do it when they were sleepy. There is a short time after they have roosted before it's too dark to see. Plan your moves in advance.
When moving eggs from under a broody (sat in the nest box and keeping all the newlaid eggs) I've held a clip-board in one hand, between the hen and me like a shield so I could put the other hand under the hen. Obviously to move them you need 2 hands, maybe you could cover her head with a cloth.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
scbk
Lively Laner

Post by scbk »

kitla wrote:That is a good point, you dont want the chicks eating the layers pellets (too much calcium)
That's another reason to seperate them.

The worse thing is the adult hens want to eat all the high protein chick crumb/growers pellets which is about 3x the price!! {rofwl}