Help. First timer here

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Megsmum
Learner Laner

Help. First timer here

Post by Megsmum »

We are on approx day 16 of the 21 days eggs under hens. Bearing in mind these eggs were given to me.

We were about to relocate them into there new brood house. Both girls came out in the afternoon, as they always do, for a feed and a drink. Temperature here now 30+

I went into house to check and one egg under each hen was broken. At first I thought possibly hatching. I looked closely. One was a cracked shell, with a very dry carcass sticking out, the other was half open, almost as if I’d cracked it open, half a chick and a lot of yolk.

I’m leaving well alone this evening ( having disposed of dead ones). {cry}

It’s my first ever hatching, so I have no idea what’s going on.
>eas2<
Any information that comes my way will be gratefully received.

When can I expect any movement etc what am I looking for. I’m loath to move them now, I think I’ll wait until we have live hatching so I don’t scare them off at the last minute

silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Help. First timer here

Post by silverback »

Sorry can't help you with this, I'm sure one of the members will post a reply with sound advice soon!. >gl< )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've hatched a few times under broodies, but the only dead chick I got was one at the end that died while trying to hatch. I wonder if your chicks died then the build up of bacteria from them broke the egg open? Did they smell bad? If the eggs were broken before then, I presume you would have noticed when the hens came off.
I think ideally its best to settle the broodies into their hatching hutch at the beginning before you give them the eggs. How do you plan to move their nests to the new house? If you have problems another option is to move them as soon as the chicks hatch. What breed are your hens?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Megsmum
Learner Laner

Post by Megsmum »

kitla wrote:I've hatched a few times under broodies, but the only dead chick I got was one at the end that died while trying to hatch. I wonder if your chicks died then the build up of bacteria from them broke the egg open? Did they smell bad? If the eggs were broken before then, I presume you would have noticed when the hens came off.
I think ideally its best to settle the broodies into their hatching hutch at the beginning before you give them the eggs. How do you plan to move their nests to the new house? If you have problems another option is to move them as soon as the chicks hatch. What breed are your hens?

The plan was to move them, but the would leave and return to house. No smell at all. The eggs were not broken in the morning

I’ve decided not to move until hatching, if any, happens.

One is a Cochin and one is a Brahma
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

How lovely, I love the big hens, I have 2 brahmas & a bantam brahma, always wanted a cochin. How many eggs are they hatching? have you made plans for the boys?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Megsmum
Learner Laner

Post by Megsmum »

6 each, well 5 each now! We have 9 hens and a Brahma cockerel. These eggs were given to me. If we get cockerels we will see how it goes. Our chickens free range in an acre of land so I can always separate some off for a differently group. Otherwise the cockerels will go to the freezer. We have a small, small holding. This is my first attempt at grow your own chickens {rofwl} We have goats, dogs , ducks and cats. I’m considering a pig or two but poco y poco as we say here in Spain
Sandra M
Lively Laner

Post by Sandra M »

I hatched some under a broody last year in the main coop with all the other hens and cockerels I have 70 hens and 5 cockerels and the chicks where fine I only moved them after hatch to a separate pen with a net over because I was worried about the crows getting them.
I have a small holding have ducks chickens turkeys and pigs also do holiday boarding for chickens duck turkeys.
Megsmum
Learner Laner

Post by Megsmum »

Sandra M wrote:I hatched some under a broody last year in the main coop with all the other hens and cockerels I have 70 hens and 5 cockerels and the chicks where fine I only moved them after hatch to a separate pen with a net over because I was worried about the crows getting them.
I have a small holding have ducks chickens turkeys and pigs also do holiday boarding for chickens duck turkeys.

Good to know

That’s my aim