Black Tongue

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Crazycoop
Lively Laner

Black Tongue

Post by Crazycoop »

Hi Folks

The tip of one of my Thuringian bantams tongue has gone black, cannot seem to find a lot about this on the net.
Anybody had experience of this, what is it, how is it treated, is it contagious etc.

Thanks

Chelle

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Black Tongue

Post by KarenE »

Never heard of that! I'll do some googling

I've heard of tips of combs going black, that's frostbite. Obviously not that.

Do you have turkeys too?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi - is the tongue swollen or any other part of the head swollen? Any smells coming from the chicken's mouth?

How does the chicken seem health wise apart from the black tongue?

And finally - what is her diet? It can be a sign of niacin deficiency (vitamin b5) or it may be she's been eating something which has left a black stain on her tongue.

I can't find much on this when googling
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
manda

Post by manda »

It could be as said above a Niacin deficiency could also be Mycotoxins

Mouth and Tongue Lesions
Type-A trichothecenes such as T-2 toxin exert an inflammatory response in the mouth that often progresses to necrosis and invasion by normal microbial flora. Lesion can vary from the so-called ‘black tongue’ in which usually the tip of the tongue is necrotised without further inflammation of the oral cavity or oesophagus, to raised, yellow necrotic plaques. In flocks where this condition is observed, it might be worth investing in type-A trichothecene analyses as for differential diagnosis tool.

Also found this on my wanderings...
http://temp.biomin.net/fileadmin/user_u ... oultry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny