Blooming chicken

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Blooming chicken

Post by Gwenoakes »

Lily the chicken that has only a few weeks ago stopped being broody with 3 others for in excess of 100 days has gone broody again!!
She has gone straight to Alcatraz in a wire cage. This was the only thing that stopped all 4 previously, they were in it for two and a half days, so am hoping because I have put her in straight away she will be out of the cage earlier.
I am really beginning to think that someone up there is giving our family all the animals that are not the 'norm'. What with Teddy's allergies and lameness and Edna the Welsh Sect D having varicose veins in the vagina, Molly the cat has Asthma and Flora the mini Shetland suffers with breathing probs when it is very warm.
Anyone else have probs like this? Someone please tell me I am not on my own here.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Blooming chicken

Post by kitla »

My first pekin, Bibble went broody at the drop of a hat & I tried really hard to break her each time - but a few weeks later she'd do it again. So I gave up doing that. Our Miss piggy has been on there all summer, I think its her way of hiding from the big chooks. so good luck with that! :-D
And yes we have quite a bit of kookyness & disability in our household, from a blind retarded chicken, one with one-eye & one with a hernia to an old dog with food issues who we've always thought is a bit autistic (if thats possible) and a human family rife with all kinds of anxietys, especially my eldest who has everything that begins with Dys... heyho, wouldnt life be boring without a few problems!?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Nice to know I am not on my own, Kitla. LOL
Our human household would take too long to mention all probs, but they do include all those starting with a Dys too, plus many more.
I would not mind leaving her to get on with it, but last time she lost a huge amount of weight and went downhill very fast, so felt I had to do something otherwise I would poss have lost her.
They do say all these things are sent to try us and they are most certainly doing that here. There is a silver lining though, I suppose, we have gained an enormous amount of knowledge both for human and animal, so usually now we are very much aware straight away if something is wrong. I think it makes you much more vigilant. In fact sometimes I think that life without all these things would be extremely boring...........Did I really say that? {rofwl}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, after only one and a half days I let her out and she is fine. Couldn't get away from that cage fast enough.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Spoke too soon, another one gone broody that was broody only a few weeks ago. So....in the cage she is, hopefully only for a day or two and then out and back to normal.
This is not a good game................ }hairout{