Thin Egg Shells

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Thin Egg Shells

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi All. Rose and Violet are approaching 3 years old now and they have started to lay soft shelled eggs/eggs with no shell. I am not so worried as long as they get the egg yolk out and doesn't start to go into their abdomen. Vi goes a bit off while she is brewing her softie but the minute she has got it out she is fine. I give them Limestone Flour sprinkled on their food and I know that there are various different "hard shell products" available, but I wondered if someone could recommend a certain product (something that they have had success with). I know this is probably the norm now for their age, but your advice on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Thin Egg Shells

Post by KarenE »

Hi CC

I've heard a lot of people talk about zolcal D (or something) but I haven't used it myself. Sardines in oil are also worth a go. Moulting season is nearly upon us so they could also be getting ready for that ie slowing down laying. Also might be worth some nutridrops or poultry spice just as a general pick me up, especially if they do start moulting. Cod liver oil is also recommended because it helps the body absorb the calcium too. Give those a try and see how they do )t'

If softies do prove to be a problem, there's always the hormonal implant to stop them laying. Again I've never used it for mine and it does need regular replacing but if they are having lots of problems and you are worried about EYP that could be a route to go (my guess is it's their age and an oncoming moult - give them some time and see how they go) )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not had any soft shells so far, in fact the opposite. I give mine oyster shell which I liberally throw on the run floor, but they are not quite a year old yet.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

We also dried their egg shells, ground them and added it to their food so they get some of the calcium back.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've used Shell aid in the past, easy to use as it goes in the water. I thought it helped at the time. I suppose it depends on the reason for the soft shells, there's a lot of moulting going on atm, that might contribute.
https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Shell-Aid/p ... /SHELLAID/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Thanks everyone for your replies. They always have oyster shell and I bake their egg shells for extra calcium. Think, like you say Karen, it's an age thing now or perhaps going off lay for a bit due to moulting season approaching. Sardines in oil is a good idea - I'll give it a go. Thanks again for your input.