Possible laying problems

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Nikkicharl
Learner Laner

Possible laying problems

Post by Nikkicharl »

My speckledy hen Flossie has just laid an egg after being on the nest for over 6 hours. I was becoming concerned and was about to bring her indoors for a warm bath when she laid. It was only a smallish egg so not as though it should have been difficult for her. About an hour prior to that I had taken her off the nest to check her over but she didn't appear to be in any discomfort. She just ate a little and went back to the nest box.

Yesterday's egg took a long time too - at least a couple of hours but I went out so don't know exactly how long.

I only have 2 hens, both about 17 months old, and both have laid regularly until recently, when I've noticed that at least one of them is skipping days, more than can be explained by their natural egg cycle. I don't know which one, but now I'm suspecting Flossie.

Should I be worried about any of this or am I being paranoid? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gillian

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Possible laying problems

Post by KarenE »

Hi

Two things spring to mind - firstly it is nearing moulting season and yours are about the age for their first major moult so that coupled with the slight downturn in the weather (it feels more like autumn at the minute) may be part of the reason why laying has slowed down. They'll stop laying during a moult and stop or slow down over winter.

Secondly, have they been wormed? That can also contribute to less regular laying

Now with regards to Flossie - could she be going broody? It's a mad time of the year for it but nobody ever said chickens were sensible. Is she sqwawky and huffy if you get her off the nest? Squashed flat on it? And is she hoarding eggs ie trying to get a clutch together?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Nikkicharl
Learner Laner

Post by Nikkicharl »

Hi Karen

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes I hadn't thought of the moult. I've just checked and there are a couple of her feathers in the coop so maybe she's just beginning.

They are due for worming. That's on my list for the beginning of next month but I may try to get it in hand this weekend in case that's the cause.

I did wonder if she was going broody, but she showed no interest in the egg after it had finally been laid; she left the nestbox and resumed her activities scratching around in the garden, so I don't think so. She doesn't like to be disturbed on the nest. She scolds me with a low growling purr if I even just open the lid and was most upset when I lifted her off the nest earlier!

I'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

Gillian
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

She might be pondering whether to go broody. Or perhaps she just enjoys a bit of quiet me time :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper