frozen eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
amber66
Longlasting Laner

frozen eggs

Post by amber66 »

Hello.
I am after some advice please. The dial on my fridge was some how moved and it became so cold that the eggs i had in there froze.
Would it be ok to eat them once they are thawed or even just give them back to the girls or would it be better to just throw them away?
Amber.

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: frozen eggs

Post by Gwenoakes »

I do freeze my ladies eggs, but not in the shells. I crack the shells then put 2 or 3 in a small bowl and whip up with a fork. I have tried putting the whole egg minus the shell in the freezer, but it was really awful and they were very gloopy when I wanted to use them for baking etc.
I don't see any reason why you can't try them either for yourself or your ladies to be honest, they just froze in the fridge and not the freezer.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you for your reply Gwenoakes.
Amber.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I have also frozen eggs in the freezer. Beaten them first. Advice is to separate them beat then freeze yolks & whites. But since I wanted to use whole eggs I mixed them up whole and froze. Yes the texture was odd, gloopy describes it well, but used in a cake or an omelette they were fine.
So from the safety viewpoint I think they will be fine, I assume you've left them in the fridge. Only snag might be if they've cracked and the white has come into contact with a dirty shell, then been left to thaw at a higher temperature. I always used to make sure any cracked eggs were used quickly and well cooked even if the shells looked clean.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Powyswales
Lively Laner

Post by Powyswales »

If you are not sure you want to eat them then I would mash the egg up with some bread maybe and feed them back to the chickens, no point in wasting food when you have chickens.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you all for the replies.
I played on the safe side and scrambled them for the girls today. They didn't complain and are all fine.
Amber.