i could have saved money of only....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
sandy
Legendary Laner

i could have saved money of only....

Post by sandy »

Green as anything having 2 hens on an impulse in 2008 , rushed out and spent £300 on a little coop to retrieve the girls from neighbours flock who were bulling them so badly. Bought metal water containers and henny plastic feedbowls. The metal containers were a nightmare to clean and couldnt have vinegar in them, the feeders got the food stuck and i wasnt really happy with the pen as girls couldnt jump up anywhere!
Lets not go into the thousands spent on new housing which kept getting ad ons with the countless new roofs which now all leak like hell yike*
Well now i would have a big metal shed with a floor on concrete with plenty of dustbaths, an ad on outside run with a deep deep moat of concrete all around it and a hard durable roof. Cant change that at the moment but have sorted out the extras through the years, Thank heavens for big solid and durable dog bowls for both food and water.
Of course i neednt have bought the swing and seesaw either {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: i could have saved money of only....

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , at least you are not thinking of paying 100,000 pounds for a field to put them in (like me ) .
Money and chicken fools are soon parted is the saying that comes to mind .
But not one penny begrudged .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

)like(
yes, it does sound familiar.
Did anyone else work out what those first eggs cost each?
It took several years before the average /egg looked reasonable - but then, of course, the moveable run and arc was neither convenient nor secure, and the cost of a walk in run pushed it up again.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I did not have to have a house as such when I first had chickens some years ago as they went in the stables, so just had to make a cart shed secure on the front which we did with digging down approx 18" into the earth, putting glass, hardcore and then cement which I must say worked a treat as this was all enclosed within our courtyard.
However this time round, no cart sheds/stables so have a block house for them, blocks left over from building hydro unit, concrete floor with a tiled roof which is surrounded by really strong small mesh fencing dug into the ground and posts cemented in. The roof is meshed also and we have fixed strong tarpaulins on top with some sheets of boarding and wood battens. I wont tell you what this last lot cost, but if I have chickens from now until I push up daisies I still will not get my money back.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I think chicken keeping is definitely an on going process with regard to where they live and sleep. We're forever making changes with another expansion planned for the run over Christmas. The wooden posts and mesh we've already bought would have paid for an exotic holiday for four {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} They're definitely worth it though and we just want to make sure they're happy and safe )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx