Sad end to the day

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Sad end to the day

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} so sorry to learn of the sad loss of your girls.

I know there are visitors to my garden so have always kept mine in a purpose built run. I only have one hen left - an old girl who would probably be picked on (and not cope) if I introduced new stock. Sometimes when cleaning out the coop I leave the door open and she has been known to wander - once half way down the garden before I herded her back. The very next day I was shocked to see a fox standing exactly where the old girl had been the day before .... yike*

Try adding a balcony or two at different levels and perches if you haven't already to your run - it means that some of the hen pecked girls can get out of line of sight of the bullies and enjoy a bit of space of their own, and it also increases the floor area of your existing run without extending it out sideways.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you've got a house and a hutch you could divide the run while they get used to each other.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

The hutch is there because that is how I introduced the bantams to the hens. I attached a dog crate to the outside for a few days and then removed the crate, leaving them all to mix. The bantams used to hide under the hutch if they felt threatened by the hens. The only downside to this (because it worked really well) is that the bantams tended to cuddle together on top of the rabbit hutch at night instead of joining the hens in the house. Now then, poor Runaway does not have anyone to cuddle with - and Lillian is in the house alone. The run is fairly long and I like the idea of adding perches - that is a good tip. Perhaps I should go for a few bantams and a couple of hens, so they both have "freinds".

Thanks guys.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think that could be a win, win situation to add both types. )t'
I have perches in my run one of which is an old apple tree branch which the smaller ones seem to like. I also have lumps of wood sunk into the ground at varying heights and they use those quite a lot.
What has not gone down too well is a home made swing and some coloured balls, they all seem to dislike both, not sure why though. None of mine go on the perches at night, preferring to sit on the top of the nest boxes which have a plastic garden tray with newspaper and bedding I then roll the newspaper up with the bedding and replace regularly after disinfecting the tray.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

What a terrible sad time for you and an awful thing to happen. It is everyone's worst nightmare and sometimes, no matter how vigilant you are, these awful things happen. So sorry to hear of your news it must be so heartbreaking.