Here we go again

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Here we go again

Post by Greenhorn »

No chastising please! After we lost our six girls a few weeks' ago, the remaining two have been kept inside nearly all the time - with me feeling bad about them not being able to run free. Today they were let out and were with me this morning when I was pottering. When it started to rain I came indoors. I have no idea when or how, but these last two have now also gone. For the first time in six years, this household is now chicken-less. It feels weird and not right. Must get more asap. Then perhaps barbed wire along the boundary fence. }hairout{

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Here we go again

Post by Gwenoakes »

No chastising from me, just {hug}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should wait a while & the fox might find new hunting grounds? It was probably watching you waiting for its opportunity. Maybe you could make a bigger run in the meantime so you dont feel so bad about shutting them in there?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

kitla wrote:oh dear I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should wait a while & the fox might find new hunting grounds? It was probably watching you waiting for its opportunity. Maybe you could make a bigger run in the meantime so you dont feel so bad about shutting them in there?

Looking back at old posts, the run is already a good size by most standards. Some hen-houses are sold with tiny runs ' suitable for 4.../..6 hens when you wouldn't want to keep 1 in such a small space. But, of course not for hens who have been used to pottering about the garden and an owner who has been used to seeing that. I know exactly how GH feels about that.
Greenhorn wrote:….. For the first time in six years, this household is now chicken-less. It feels weird and not right. Must get more asap. Then perhaps barbed wire along the boundary fence.
It does feel horrid to lose them. {hug} I don't think barbed wire would do the trick - weld-mesh might, so if you do replace soon keep them in.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There are various pages on the main site that mention foxes. Worth exploring.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire