Chickens in the heat

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Chickens in the heat

Post by Gwenoakes »

My seven ladies have really seemed to have suffered in this hot weather, gaping mouths etc. I have hosed their run down and it is totally shaded including the top which was done to keep out any risk of bird flu. They have a block built house with tiled roof (just because we had the materials left over from the canine hydrotherapy unit we built), have fresh cold water and been given things like cucumbers straight from the fridge.
What has anyone else done to help their ladies?

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Chickens in the heat

Post by Mo »

Ice cubes in the water?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

On Thursday I put icepacks by the feeders & in the coop at night
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I've been giving mine lots of fruit esp melon, raisins and sweetcorn in water so they have to dip for them, plenty of water with icecubes in occasionally but thjey find shady spots to hide in and conserve their energy by not doing much until later in the day. Icepacks are a good diea or if you don't have any, lemonade bottles filled with water and frozen would do the trick. I've seen some people putting trays of water out for them to paddle in but not sure mine would go for that - might be worth a try though
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for the tips everyone.
I didn't lock them up on Thursday night as it was soooo hot even at past 10p.m. Went down to them early Friday morning with baited breath, just in case something had got into them, but they were fine. Got to admit I do not like not locking them up at night though.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I never shut my pop hole door - it's automatic and broke down last year and we haven't got round to fixing it. They are in a secure run though so I think they are safe enough (touch wood of course) - if yours are in a run they should be okay, just maybe check around for any gaps or weak spots, and of course make sure it's covered. And with galvanised mesh not bog standard chicken wire
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper