Just wondered

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Just wondered

Post by Gwenoakes »

if anyone has used a worm count for their chickens.
I have used them for the horses, dogs and cats with really good results and hardly ever had to worm any of them.
I know that horse worms are becoming resistant to the wormers, so a natural presumption in my mind anyway is that dogs, cats, chickens will be the same.
Also is there a really good tonic for chickens that anyone would recommend? Three of my lot are moulting and I think it would not do them any harm to add a little natural supplement to help them out. Thanks.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Just wondered

Post by Mo »

interesting thought
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Gwen

Not personally but a lot of people on the facebookk group have used worm counts. I am only worming twice a year now and especially if I see poos, but mine free range and pick up stuff there. Worming is quite hard on their systems, and as you say resistance is probably inevitable at some stage

Verm-x is supposed to be good for gut health and as a preventative for worms. Not sure how good it actually is as I've never used it. It's definitely not a wormer. Garlic or acv in the water is also supposed to be good for creating inhospitable environments for worms - again, not for treating though, more as prevention.

When moulting, I give my lot some poultry spice - it's a powder and I mix it in with their mash which they love. I have also used poultry tonic which goes in their water, but as my lot mainly drink out of puddles (!) and especially when they think there is something weird in their drinks, I'm not sure it does a whole lot of good!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think I may look into the worm count thing. Collecting the poo should not be a problem, although I know with the dog/cat/horses it has to be relatively fresh, so thinking collect first thing in the morning.
I will also order some poultry spice and acv. If I am honest they have not had much interference from me and seem to have been perfectly OK, well apart from leg mites which I have treated twice now and I regularly check for red mite along/under perches.