cockerel or Not?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

cockerel or Not?

Post by OldForum »

Minidaz
Having explained to our right side neighbour just exactly what we've been doing to the shed at the bottom of the garden , he has said that he has no problem in us having a cockerel. He used to live on a farm years ago so doesn't mind. Infact he thinks having little chicks running round is excellent.

The coop and run is at the bottom of our garden ( over 100ft ), and backs on to trees then a road. Our neighbour on the left is the village part time police station.

We were planning on having just hens, but now we've got the dilemma as to getting a cockerel or not. We still want eggs , but it would also be nice to breed, keeping our stock fresh etc.

Probably heading towards getting a cockerel, just got to decide.
What would everyone else do ??

MikeyHCG
Can't see no reason why you couldn't have one...we *might* even have one for you in a few weeks (show quality white orpington), should hopefully be able to s.ex our chicks in a couple of weeks time, so if we have more than one cockeral, you are welcome to the other one..just hope all 3 aren't cockerals though

Minidaz
Cheers Mike. You'll have to keep us posted. Hopefully you wont get all 3 Cockerels

MikeyHCG
We've been watching them over the last few days and although at 4 weeks it is too early to s.ex them, we both have a gut feeling that 2 of them are cockerals...so you could very well be in luck If you take a trip to fordham to get that chicken wire, you'll have to pop in and see them, we're only 5 mins from Fordham

Minidaz
Depending on wether Em has to be at our local carnival in the morning or not ( she helps with the scouts who have a stand, but it doesnt start till the afternoon ) we might go for a drive up to Fordham Saturday morning and get some chicken wire

And then i can get the pen built

MikeyHCG
ugger, that's a point. Burwell carnival is on saturday, so I expect the roads will be closed off

Minidaz
The joy of village carnivals

Prink13
Hi you 2, I'm also after some chicken wire this weekend, where is this fordham nursery, map would be brilliant, or address so I can SatNav it