Advice on keeping chickens in Central London

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Advice on keeping chickens in Central London

Post by OldForum »

Huntertitis
I am thinking of getting a few chickens but don't know whether there are any laws or bylaws against keeping them in my 30 foot garden in Battersea, central London. Does anyone on this forum keep chickens in the city and any advice would be appreciated. I am probably getting a large wooden coop from ebay and will build a decent sized run to keep foxes out.

Minidaz
I dont live in the city, but would have thought if there was any major problem in keeping chickens ( or poultry of any kind ) then it would be in the deeds.

You'll probably find that aslong as you dont keep a cockerel, and only a few chickens,you'll be fine.

Some older houses ( as in 60's 50's etc ) can have conditions: we know 2 people who live in older property. One can't keep cats and the other can't keep wild animals but both can happily keep chickens.

If your neighbours start complaining ( which i doubt ) just give them a few egs every now and again

If i'm wrong , i'm sure someone on here will tell me

Wendy
live near to Watford, about 14 miles from the centre of London.So although not the middle of town, not exactly country either. My husband works for Battersea dogs and cats home !!!
I have 4 hens, and as long as you don't have a male [as Daz said] there isn't a problem. But as said if it is a leashold or similar best to check.
I also keep my neighbours sweet, by giving them the surplus eggs.

Huntertitis
Thanks for your thoughts, friends

I just found out that Wandsworth Council have no objection and there are no laws or bylaws that say you can't have chooks in deepest Battersea

Now whether to go the expensive route and get the rather ugly eglu or ebay for the wooden house and spend days / weeks trying to build a run

Any ideas?

One other thing - in a small garden doesn't the poo become a problem, esp in winter when it goes all mushy in the wet???

Wendy
I dig the run over every weekend.
When they 'go' in the garden we pick it up on a shovel and put it in the compost bin.

huntertitis
My problem is that half the run will be an outside brick floor and the other side mud and a few plants which I think the chickens will destroy quite quick

My question is Can chickens live on mud / bricks and NO grass to walk on?

Mo
They like grass to peck at, but people keep hens on all sorts (and a small run wouldn't have grass for long anyway, once they started pecking). My wartime book recommends giving 'greens' if they have no grass, and hanging them up so that they don't get trampled and soiled. That book also suggests sowing grass for them, then covering it with a frame with wire netting on, so they don't scratch it). It says perennial rye grass is no use, so ask your seed merchant for a suitable mix for hens - haven't times changed, I don't know where you'd find such a seed merchant now.
If it's a small permanent run I would go round with a trowel or shovel and put the muck on the compost heap.

If you look back to previous pages you'll see various 'newbies' asking about keeping hens in town, then later telling us about their hens.