Hello Everyone

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
coultog
Learner Laner

Hello Everyone

Post by coultog »

Hi All,

This is my first post and wanted to say hello.

For a couple of years now, I have been a big fan of free range eggs and have thought about getting a few chickens.

I decided to see what information was available out there and came across this site - Richard, it's a real credit to you!

I too dream about being more green and a little bit more self sufficient.

So far, I have started using a water butt, got a composter, ordered some carrots and will pot those in the next couple of days.

I'm really intrigued about getting chickens, where to buy them from and what to expect. I've read most of pages written here and it's great to visit a forum and see there's more like minded people!

If anyone has any top tips for someone purely in the planning stages, I'd really appreciate any comments.

Thanks, Gary

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello there, great to meet you.

If you follow my example you'll have no plan atall! Not really the best idea.

With the chickens, it's more a case of just asking yourself "Can I have them". If you've a garden, that's enough really. It's just when you're going away that could be a problem, but usually neighbours are quite fascinated by them and love 'mucking in'.
It's also a talking point for them at their own work and with family etc.
A dozen eggs and you're in!!

Really I don't have any more than anyone else, it's basically planning the time, not the 'challenge'.
Like in the next 16 days, I'm at home all day once!

Like many things, the idea is simple, the carrying out of it.....!!

What I think with the chickens is to see the cost of setting it off. The cost of the hens is probably the smallest cost of all.

I'm sure many others would like to tell you their ideas, so I'll put some gaffer tape over my keyboard before everyone dozes off!!

Cheers for now, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
coultog
Learner Laner

Post by coultog »

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a large garden - fortunately I'm on a corner plot, so have probably too much garden LOL

One thing that's confused me.... In some of the things I've read, it seems like the hens do their business in a toilet of some description, where as others don't say anything about that?

Cheers, Gary
melons
Legendary Laner

fab

Post by melons »

OMG you'll get bombarded with info here, it's a really handy forum.

The biggest mistake I've made so far, is getting a triangle shaped Arc, it's a nightmare to keep dry, as if I cover it in a tarpaulin, there's still lot's of the triangular bit sticking out either side, as you can't put it to the floor, otherwise they can't see out (unless it's see through) Moving one around a lawn is a none start, as they will trash the grass, that's going by this summer's rain mind :shock:
I've had to buy a gazebo to put over it to keep me & them dry, & some perspex on the underneath area (it's two storeys) to keep them & their food dry.
As for where to get chickens, I'm totally biased & tell everyone to get ex battery hens, from the battery hen welfare trust. It all depends on what you want from them, & them from you.
There are a million different chickens for a million different tastes, get yourself a good book & see what tickles your fancy, but ex batts are just the best :-D
Let us know what you decide on.

mel x
Cheers
mel x
coultog
Learner Laner

Post by coultog »

Hi Mel,

It didn't occur to me you'd want to keep them dry, I guess I assumed they'd go indoors if it were raining...

Think I still have LOADS and LOADS of reading still to do :)

Cheers, G
coultog
Learner Laner

Post by coultog »

It doesn't look like the trust has reached Leeds yet :(

I agree about battery chickens, it would be nice to give something a decent life after the hell it must have gone through....

Oh well, might have to go to a local farmers market and have a poke around at the chicks...
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

On the toilet issue, they do most of their business whilst perching during the night.
I put plastic bread trays lined with newspaper underneath and that seems to save a lot of trowel and paint scraper work!

Outside they have no etiquette whatsoever and just drop it when and where they want, this includes human feet. If they're not pecking your shoe laces, they're pooing on them!

Their business is extremely potent stuff which is why it's diluted down so much for compost. I put some down neat once, the cabbages grew about 6 inches in a week then died of exhaustion! It's true.
So, you can imagine the grass.
If you have a large area, I'd certainly move it weekly, the grass will repair itself in about two weeks.

I'm trying to design an Ark with a removable tray floor, thus avoiding more scraping than necessary.
I started, but have put on hold whilst I build a couple of rabbit size one's for practice.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Hi Gary, and welcome. One thing to bear in mind is foxes. It is difficult to get 100% fox-safe, but there are things you can do to minimise the risk. The main one is to shut them up a night as soon as they take themselves indoors (they will go in automatically as the light fades).

Phil
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I live in Stoke-on-Trent and travelled 75 miles to Bury to pick up my ex-batts from the BHWT (yes, yes - carbon footprint I know, but I had to get ex-batts)

I live on an estate with a "usual" sized garden and have a house and run with a flat roof and put some tarpulin over it to keep them dry. Then I let them out when I'm at home.

They really aren't that much work and are very rewarding!!!
Small steps lead to big changes
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

I spent ages thinking about having hens too, but took the plunge at beginning of July. Used an old dog kennel for the coop, lined with newspaper and straw. I got ex battery hens - PLEASE CHOOSE SOME from the battery hens trust - they are so lovely and rewarding.

My boyfriend built me an A frame for them, but even though it was a good size, it was too small for 4 hens, and now I've fenced off one of my lawns for them and put bark chippings down to soak up the rain.

Worst problem is how much they wreck your lawn - not so much cos you want to keep your lawn nice, but because it only takes them a couple of weeks to scratch it all up and then there's no nice grass left for them.

they poo anywhere and everywhere, but you can normally pick it up quite easily. They put themselves to bed at night, and are really no trouble at all.

Tips?
1. if you refurbish an old dog kennel, make the roof removable- the worst problem for me is trying to get into it to clean it out and get the eggs. the best thing would be a walk-in shed (if you have the money)
2. Movable run to save your grass
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi Coultog and welcome.. Advice? well chickens are messy! they throw food everywhere and it turns into a nasty paste if it gets wet and is a pain to remove.. so a feeder which stops them digging the feed around is ideal.. Poo? they poo everywhere and anytime with gusto and glee!! and its bigger than budgy poo!! they will have a peck at anything that looks remotely edible so beware garden plants, new and old veggies and toenails, shoe laces ,buttons etc etc.. Get as many as you can from the start and get or make a hen house / run as big a size as you can fit in to the space you have available because you will want more because besides being messy they are also the perfect smile inducing feathered lump.. that as a bonus even produces the most delicious eggs! )t' [/u][/b]
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think Mel may going a bit over the top with the keeping dry.
I have an arc in a larger, moveable run. They don't go into the arc unless it is pouring sometimes not then, but if I give them the hinged 'arc' without it's end (which OH made from an old fence), some take shelter.
If they are on a patch with no trees or shrubs I sometimes see them huddling into the shadow of the arc, if the sun is bright, otherwise they all snooze under a bush. So give them some shade.

Have a google round, then choose something that suits you.
People have kept hens in all sorts of conditions and anything you give them will be so much better than Batteries.
Free range is ideal, but its handy to have a small secure run as well. I can give them their supper in the run of the arc if I will be out at bedtime, so that they're not wide open to foxes before I get home to shut the pophole.

Have fun, you won't regret it.
melons
Legendary Laner

My hen house

Post by melons »

I know I flap about my girls, but one is very bald :shock:
I just don't want them to get chilly, they "hate" the rain & all stand in a row under the gazebo. Snuffles & sneezes can be quite bad for chickens, but I do know you can do it all cheaper than I did, my girls & hen house were my 40th birthday present.
Best of luck.
Cheers
mel x
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Hello Everyone

Post by AnnaB »

Morph
Why didn't you go to Droitwich - much nearer to you? Its on the road to Tenbury. Monica and John Hall are coordinators for the Trust and that's where I get mine.
They are a fantastic couple and if ever you 'loose' one they have over 30 themselves and I am sure would be willing to help.