Red Mite - Getting Rid

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Red Mite - Getting Rid

Post by Phil Black Rock »

I have had a brilliant idea for getting rid of the dreaded red mite, do you think it is a good idea.
What about getting one of the sulphur bombs that I use for sterilizing the greenhouse pre season, but using it in the girls house. According to form these sulphur bombs get rid of any type of pest.
My idea is to let the girls out early morning, then put plastic sheet over the windows/doors insert the bomb and wait for it to work its magic. I think they give off poisonous fumes for about two hours, then remove the sheet and open all the doors/ windows for the fumes to escape until the girls go to bed late evening.
A good idea - or not.
Phil

)chu:

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Red Mite - Getting Rid

Post by AnnaB »

Phil
Be very careful - these are really poisonous. Why not use the diatomaceous earth - the bigger you buy the cheaper it is and it is useful all around the garden and to 'worm' the girls.
Read the search engines about it.
melons
Legendary Laner

sulphur bomb's

Post by melons »

Have a quick shufty on the practical poultry forum, there's been a section on that same idea there.
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooooh I am a bit wary. Their air sacs are really delicate, and you can easily come unstuck.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Phil Black Rock
Lively Laner

Post by Phil Black Rock »

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/repel.htm

The link to the diatomaceous earth jobby, it sounds too good to be true, anybody else had expirience of using this.

Phil B

)chu:
wendy

Post by wendy »

One of the girls on my forum, was absolutely plagued with red mite. Used this and sings it praises.
I have bought a Kilo but haven't had to use it yet. But I am all ready for the onslaught.
Wendy

Sarah S
Learner Laner

Post by Sarah S »

I've used Jeyes fluid to good effect but ignored all the instructions on the tin and (donning protective gear first!) used it neat soaked into a rag and applied direct to the little blighters, end of the perches and other crannies. It takes two or three days of repeated treatment but it has been pretty good.
Calliope
Learner Laner

Red Mite - Getting Rid

Post by Calliope »

In our area we use wood ashes from the wood stove or fire pit and put them in a tray inside the chicken house. The chickens will dust bath in the ashes and stomp around in them, and it really seems to work well for mites. (f+
wendy

Post by wendy »

economical and ecologically fine to, well done.
Welcome to the forum.
Wendy

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

my neighbour has an open fire which they frequently use, i could use their ashes.....does this really keep the blasted things away?

anybody know any more on the subject?

thanks

kat x