MEMBERS CHICKEN COOP PHOTO'S (PICS ONLY PLEASE)

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Draygor
Lively Laner

Re: MEMBERS CHICKEN COOP PHOTO'S

Post by Draygor »

I had to resort to a new plastic coop for the girls, as the wooden coop had mites. It will get a dusting and get used again in time. But they seem to love their new non wood, non mite, non rot totally waterproof, snug home )t'

Where did this come from?
Its got a door
No wood in sight
Ready for them
Gingerley they explore their new home
Never expect the enemy to be where you expect them to be!!

twerki78
Lively Laner

Post by twerki78 »

Well I thought I would post a picture of our house and run... It's an Ebay purchase, all £83 of it. It was local enough to collect for about £10 worth of fuel so was able to save on the postage, which I think was a pretty good price. Overall it's pretty good, roofing is made from a hollow wood like what a lot of interior are made of but not as thick, not sure how long the roof will last but easy enough to replace and it keeps the house and the run dry. The nesting boxes do have an removable flood which I considered not to be fox prof as it could easily be pushed up from outside. I do like the fact you can remove the flooring however as it makes cleaning easier, so I added closely fitted slats underneath so the flooring is still removable but the gaps will allow and any mess dropped to fall out to be collected. There was a silly twist latch on the house door which I replaced with a bolt that has a sprung ball-bearing to prevent it from being rattled open, the gate to the run came with 2 bolts top and bottom but were not rattle proof, i.e. you could rattle the gate and undo at least the top bolt so I added a third bolt to the centre of the gate but a rattle proof one.

The house also has a slide out floor and a perch, the pop door is string operated from outside.

The house and run sit on bricks cemented into the ground to level the ground out, the house and run is also screwed down to the bricks. I'm in the process of surrounding the run and house with paving slabs as time and weather allows. At the front to give somewhere mud free to stand and as with the edges to try and make the run and house fox proof. As you can see where I haven't got to I've laid some slabs on the ground and some old bricks and rocks to prevent Mr. Fox!

We have 2 Rhode Island Reds, and one Shaver Brown. The Shaver Brown has laid everyday and the Rhode Island's every other at the moment, but we can rely it seems on at least 2 eggs a day and sometime 3.

The 3 girls all seem happy, and I love the fact when they see me collecting grass and dandelion leaves for them they are falling over each other watching me round the garden! They sure know what's coming!

Here's the 2 nest boxes inside the house, and the Shaver Brown laying us a nice egg :-D

marymorgan
Lively Laner

Post by marymorgan »

work in progress
Mary

Owner of 2 Siberian Huskies, a Hamster, fishpond.. and 2 teenagers ... oh and a husband ;o)... And now the proud owner of six ex-bats ...... hooked already x x x
stoice
Learner Laner

Post by stoice »

Image Have built my run on slabs in front of the shed
Image The run is split into sections to allow access to the shed (or as a 'hospital wing' for birds in isolation)
Image A cheap roller blind offers shade and an old school desk offers a 'mezzanine' level with a perch above it.
Image My run (pitched roof not quite finished)
Stacey x
pinkchicky
Lively Laner

Post by pinkchicky »

REDCROW, JANINE, EGGHEAD. I have the same coop and like you all I was disappointed in the size as it was advertised as being able to hold 6 large chickens! )de:

Never mind a Dad that is handy at DIY soon came up with a lovely extension for the girls!

Claire
Chick, chick, chick, chick, chicky lay a little egg for me!
Our other lovelies include 3 cats, 2 pond gold fish and a handful of tropical fish. x x
jaf4004
Learner Laner

Post by jaf4004 »

Having looked at all these designs and asked for some advice from everyone on here I have finally finished my coop and run.

We currently have 4 hens living in here which we have 'borrowed' from a friend who has gone on holiday. They have been very happy but I think I will probably only have two of my own to start with.

I designed the coop to make it as easy to clean as possible and in the winter we will have all the access to the coop and run from the patio avoiding the need to go on the muddy lawn.

The side of the run comes out to let the birds into the garden and is big enough to crawl inside to change the wood chip and tidy up!
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Thought, at long last, I'd post some photos of our set up. Ali hasn't wanted me to yet as after the winter it is in need of a lick of paint, but she's out so..........
The South Wing from the side
The South Wing from the front
The front of the coop (converted kids' Wendy House)
The newly completed Northern Wing for the little ones
And the girls under their shady weeping silver birch
Enjoy
Dom
Ali Woks My World
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

This is the hens area including their coop and shelter. There is poultry netting around the area to deter foxes etc.
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(
denzo
Learner Laner

Post by denzo »

A few pics of my set up. I have extended the sleeping area of my original chicken cottage it is now twice the size. There was enough room for my 3 girls but im tempted to get a couple more so i built the extension.
lynniepinnie
Longlasting Laner

Post by lynniepinnie »

Now one we can see!
3 dogs Harvey, Dylan and Betsy, 3 cats Merlin, Molly Mog & Lilly, 6 hens Eleanor, Eva, Ellen, Elizabeth, Hannah & Hetty 1 cockerel Frodo 3 Ducks Sarah, Winnie & Mary RIP Enid :( RIP Emily :( RIP Olga :( RIP Rosie :( RIP Ellie, RIP Evil Edna, RIP Esther :(
monkey_biz
Lively Laner

Post by monkey_biz »

my little effort, not finnished yet as ive more pallets to break up and build the inside of the shed
ive not got my chooks yet.......... 2 weeks and counting for my ex batts so its currently got the kids rabbit in it untill i build her pen.... next week )t' honest
anyway,
one old garden shed
old fencing from work
old pallets from work
recycled screws (from the old fencing)
new chicken wire
new roof felt

and.......................

in its full glory

the side gate

the inside still to be done

inside the run complete with lodger

im goint to start the inside today seeing as its raining
Being diagnosed with Aspergers at 44 doesnt mean i now have a lable to be used against me it means i am fully in control and a lot more intelligent than i look!
GerryOB
Lively Laner

Post by GerryOB »

Our Coop. Longer and deeper than the regular ebay ones but very similar.

This pic was taken when it was first put together and the girls took up residence (I'd also added another perch in the roosting area and rounded off the edges):

This is it after the addition of the litter boards and the bigger feeder (I ordered the wrong size initially).

Aim to make it bigger still, either by removing the right hand end, or the double front mesh panels.
Chief cook and bottle washer to: 6 children, 5 grandchildren, 4 chickens, 1 dog, 2 guinea-pigs, 1 hamster and hubby!
Clare
Lively Laner

Post by Clare »

My "setup" plus loads of pics of the girls can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catkinspic ... 225579284/
Chuckabiddys
Learner Laner

Post by Chuckabiddys »

Here's our chicken coop. we would like four girls

Heidi & Paul
Bambi
Lively Laner

Post by Bambi »

Here is my nearly finished coop just needs a gate hubby finishing tomorrow and a roof ! Will be further customizing with a gutter round the roof and a water butt to save water. Picking up chickens in three weeks very excited xxxx

We still have some tweaking to do like pinning in the mesh skirt and ensuring the mesh is pinned onto the posts right at the bottom then on with the roof.

Then my four girls will move in and I will be happy !!!!!

>eas2< >eas2< >eas2< >eas2<
Daffodil Mona The Farrow and Gertrude

The names keep changing
Busy full time working mum to two gorgeous girls, 5 posh birds, a cat called Brambles, a kitten called Buttons , wife to Adrian, and novice gardener loving the good life just call me Barbara !!!

>eas2<