Feed and Water in night accomodation

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Feed and Water in night accomodation

Post by OldForum »

sunchick
Now I have my 4 pullets (12 weeks leghorn/rhode island cross I think). They are really sweet and healthy, I picked them up from a huge egg farm last night. (I really wanted nice fat mixed breed sorts, but what the heck - my friend had these and I think this is just my beginning!!). I need to know if they need food and water in their night-time accomodatiom. I have put up a water tank and food tray in the run but they have nothing in the rodent-free night quarters. Hope they will be OK tonight but if you think they need anything in there please tell me!

Mo
They dont need any food or water at night.
Rhode island crosses seem a good choice. 2 of my first 3 and one of my present 3 were (different crosses ) and they did better than the others. they lay really well in English conditions, and if you got yours from a big farm they must do well there too.

sunchick
Thanks Mo - that saves a headache!. They seemed pretty perky when I let them out this morning - I was a bit concerned about it in case we get up late or get too caught up with school preps etc.and they don't get out until mid morning

AnnaB
Hens do not need feeding at night. In Scotland in the winter the birds can be locked up for over 12 hours or more and survive. I give mixed corn around 7pm at present and they go to bed when they are ready - I lock them in their coop until morning. They make straight for the pellets and I cook for them later. Hope this helps.

Jill
I too, never gave my hens food in their sleeping quarters but I always provided water for them especially if the weather was hot. It was more for my own reassurance.