chook cuisine!

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Willow
Legendary Laner

chook cuisine!

Post by Willow »

I think perchance I have made a rod for my own back.... I've started making a mash for the chooks, its basically pellets, grain, wheetabix or some other cerial and peas or sweetcorn or whatever els is hanging around.. this lot is turned to a lovely porridge consistency with water and fed to the ladies is an ex tin dog bowl once per day... they come to the kitchen door yelling till I come out and then they all chase me down the garden where I deposit it in their run..... I think it comes a close second to cat food on the list of chooks most favourite ever dinners.... )c+
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein

melons
Legendary Laner

nosh

Post by melons »

Now don't go giving me any more idea's, I've already sent next doors girls stupid with my treat feeding, they now can't move in their garden without treading on a hen.
Cheers
mel x
T_Steadman
Lively Laner

Post by T_Steadman »

Hi,

Do you know if hens are allowed peanuts? No, not salted or dry roasted :-D but the kind you put out for birds. I read that you shouldn't feed them stuff that's too fattening and I know that nuts can be, it's just that my dad keeps chucking nuts in the run (without asking permission )de: grrrr) and I don't want them to eat too many if they shouldn't, but at the same time I don't want to stop my dad from getting pleasure from putting a few nuts in if it's ok for them.

If only he'd check with me first, then he could have some corn or grapes...........

Also, how much is too much? Is it possible to give them too many yummy things? I do make sure that whatever they get is in the afternoon, so they eat the pellets first.
Toni
xxxx
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Hi Toni

I would of thought peanuts in their natural form would be fine for chickens because of their high protein content. But this might be of interest to you http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2004/Projects/J1922.pdf
T_Steadman
Lively Laner

Post by T_Steadman »

Wow PK, that's really interesting!

My dad just throws them in though, none of that grinding them up nonsense!

I suppose I'll have to let him carry on then!

Thanks
Toni
xxxx