how can i stop the water from freezing?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
nettles
Lively Laner

Post by nettles »

I keep my watering can full indoors and defrost the water bowls every morning. It has been so cold it all ices within a couple of hours so am now doing it 2-3 times per day, even the water bowl in our open shed is iced today.

I want to know if the olive oil works - thanks Morph, will try it tomorrow
Everything comes to those who wait...

kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

p.penn wrote:When I worked as a waitress in a restaurant I was told to fill the ice cube trays woth warm water as it freezes faster :shock: Is this true?

Thats what I thought too.......................
Noodle
Lively Laner

Post by Noodle »

I have a couple of water feeders, one is a ceramic dog bowl. This freezes most mornings but the 'proper' hen waterer doesn't! Hilda was very confused by the frozen bowl and got in quite a huff when she couldn't drink out of it! :shock:
'Boredom. The desire for desires.' Leo Tolstoy
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

The hot water freezing faster thing is true. I tried to summarise it but found this report instead - for those of you for more time than sense :?

We top up the feeder withn warm water every morning and it is in a sheltered sopt. Not sure that technique will work with the -9 forecast for tonight confused>
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

the olive oil really works, thanks for that one )t'