I have some new girls

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
wendy

I have some new girls

Post by wendy »

Hi Folks,
Today I went and picked up 2 more ex battery hens. I met Mel [Melons] just off of Junction 13 of the M1 and we both collected them from a lovely lady named Linda.
One, Doris, is well feathered. But Gladys is a ittle more bald. None of those we saw, were anywhere near the oven ready state that my other girls were.
I put them in the hen house, so they know where it is. Within 5 minutes Gladys had set one foot outside and then stood still. How strange to feel earth beneath her feet after all this time spent on an incline of wire. Doris was already on a perch, when Gladys after about 5 minutes was pecking at things on the floor. How lovely to watch them take in this wonderful world for the first time. How they scratched around and pecked at all and sundry trying things out. Within an hour Doris was dust batheing.
What incredible little things they are, to have endured all they have and still be a chicken through and through.
Doris has a battered crest. Gladys has the whitest face I have ever seen on a chicken, that worries me a little. I hope it is due to living all her life in artifical light and never breathing fresh air. It may be also a bit of dehydration. Because they had, had a long day without food and water. Also such a shock being manhandled out of those awful cages to be put in others and transported. I think my box was luxury with straw in it, bless them.
Today is the first day of the rest of their lives, after a life of unimaginable horror these little brown hens have suffered. Their cage mates are already dead I fear......What a way to treat a living being.
As you can tell I abhor this disgusting practise. The more we can spread the word how these birds are treated, the more people will not buy eggs from caged hens.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning

melons
Legendary Laner

Our girls are fab too

Post by melons »

Me & my nephew also collected from Bedford today, it was lovely to see how many people do really care about these little girls, some had driven quite some distance, it puts your faith back in the world ......a bit.
Lovely to meet you there Wendy :-D
We took 6 girls today, 4 for my sister & 2 for b_coz_i_can, one of our moderators, I'll deliver these 2 girls on tuesday, a bit of jiggling about with them wont harm them too much, so next week they can truely start their retirement in Surrey / Hampshire.

My sisters girls got on with it when they got home, had a bath, a drink, some tea, one laid an egg :shock: they are very sweet, two are bit a shocked by it all, hopefully this will pass soon, they even had time for a spot of sunbathing, as the sun shone just in time for their home coming 8)
I'll post some pictures of these pale little girls when I get time, I've also had a long day, none of us slept very well, we were too excited.
I hope my retirement is going to be as nice as theirs :wink:
I've got that lovely warm feeling you get when you achieve something so worth while, we've opened a bottle of posh wine tonight we've been keeping for ages, hence the spelling mustooks :-D
Mel x

Keep me posted on all 3 girls Wendy x
Cheers
mel x
Jo
Lively Laner

I got four girls today too..

Post by Jo »

Hi,

I met Linda today in Milton Keynes to pick up my first ever hens!

I must admit, it put a lump in my throat when Linda opened the boot of her car to see all those little lost looking faces peeping out.

My girls were silent on the way home, I am sure they thought it was the final destiny for them. I could'nt believe how they just let me pick them up and pop them into the run.

One of the girls, the palest did'nt really want to come out so I put the travel box in the run and it took her an hour to venture out.

They have spent all afternoon scratching the grass, digging and eating! they also don't seem to have stopped playing with the water.

They have had a good look at their new companions six rabbits, two cats and my son's, they took it all in their stride.

They all managed to walk up the ramp to go to bed - which they did themselves about 5pm. Which is amazing since the smallest one seemed to only stand for a few minutes this morning.

I can't wait to get up in the morning and open their box, so they can see the daylight and smell the fresh air again.

Being a vegetarian, I have never eaten meat and looking at my hens this evening (Maggie, Daisy, Grace and Matilda) I wonder how anybody ever can.

How can we exploit these animals so badly - indeed any farm animal?

Look forward to seeing how the others get on in their new homes.

Great job today Linda.... :wink:

Jo x
melons
Legendary Laner

oh bless

Post by melons »

Why am I up at 6am reading this? I can't stop thinking about "all" the hens rescued yesterday that's why.....& I've been designing my new run since 4am this morning, so got up to draw it.

Sounds like your girls have done really well too in their retirement, good for you :-D
The girls we got were so very pale, but were really keen to just get on with it, two were a bit confused & wanted to stay in the travel box, but we put them outside & they were fine, I can't wait to ring & ask how they are today.
We just couldn't help thinking how all the other not so lucky girls must but be in pies by now, it totally does my brains in :cry:
We were very emotional yesterday. These girls just owe us nothing. It is such a lottery as to which cage they go in as to who gets a chance, they must just empty the first "x" amount of cages & the rest go :cry:
Keep us posted about your girls & post some pictures of them on their road to recovery :-D my new nieces were quite well feathered, especially one, she was very posh.

Glad your happy with them

Mel
Cheers
mel x
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

How are all the hens settling in their new homes today?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Folks,
I put them all to bed last night, and got up earlier than usual to let them out.
All 6 were huddled up together which was lovely to see. The original 4 came out like a shot [as usual] but the other two held back. So seperated the run again and took the dogs for a walk. When I got back they were out eating. Today They have been given a bowl of cooked mashed up veggies,lets see how they get on with those.
Hopefully Gladys will look a little brighter with the fresh air, as she still has a very pale face and beak.
Wendy

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Told you - they're taking us over - beware wanabee's !!!

Will try and get the photo's up today Wendy. My graphics card's playing up, but hope to get it sorted between jobs.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

well now I really can't wait til I get my girls! Their run should be arriving this week.
There's no cure for stupidity.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Thank you Richard, playing the proud mommy again I am afraid.
I have given them some mealworms, hoping a bit of protien will boost poor Gladys. They loved them.
Wendy

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Jo - that's a lovely story.

Thanks for joining to post it.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

I have some new girls

Post by AnnaB »

How lovely for all of you - it makes me jealous but I can't have any more yet! (had 5 last month) making a total of 8.
Hope they are all OK.
Very best wishes Anna
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Well done all! Must bring a tear to your eye to see them experience being a chicken for the first time.

Jodi
PurpleChick
Learner Laner

Post by PurpleChick »

I loved reading your tales of getting new ex-battery hens, i think you've all persuaded me I need to add to my gang! )t'

Just need to buy a bigger house now ha ha!

I think chooks make the best pets in the world! Nothing beats going diggin for worms with my two after a bad day at work.