The perfect house for my two girls

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

The perfect house for my two girls

Post by OldForum »

GarethF
I am about to get 2 bluebelle hens for the garden and would like to know what size ark would be okay for them...I have looked at many websites, but after reading messages on this forum thought it best to ask you guys.

Mo
If you get the smallest possible arc you will only ever be able to have 2 hens (or buy a new arc). Hens are adictive, I bought 3 at first, then added 3 to the surviving 2, have just bought 4 more to go with the 2 survivors of that lot. So I have 6 medium sized hens in a 3'x3' arc an a biggish, moveable run. Thats about as many as I'd put in that arc I think, though they sleep huddled together so you could pile more in. I read 7" of perch / bird (though mine don't all use it, at least 2 sleep in nest boxes)

AnnaB
Gareth
If you look at the henhouses on the web I think you will find that each girl needs a minimum of 1sq ft housing. The run needs to be as big as possible and well protected from foxes. I don't know if you live in a rural or urban area but I think there are now more foxes in urban areas.
We have put 1/4inch mesh on the run to keep out rodents so you don't have to put their food away at night.
Best wishes with your girls and yes, they are very addictive!!

Gareth
Thankyou guys for your advice,

Well Ada, Aggie & Hilda (got 3 in the end) have now settled into their new house and even produced one egg within 2 hours of arriving!!

i've taken this as a thumbs up from the girls regarding their new house !