Advice on new chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
JosieJo
Learner Laner

Advice on new chickens

Post by JosieJo »

Hi and I hope you can help. I'm probably making mountains out of molehills but... since Saturday, we are now the proud parents of 3 chickens, Bluebell, Amber and Goldie - they had been fed on layers mash but we had already bought the layers pellets and mixed corn. Yesterday, I found some runny poo - has this happened purely because of the change in surroundings and change of food..

Thanks for any advice..

Gallus Gal
Learner Laner

Post by Gallus Gal »

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I admit to not knowing much at all about chicken poo, sorry. However, there is a wealth of information in the chicken health section, including a 'watery poo' thread.

Hope that helps,
GG x
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hello Josie and welcome to the forum. (f+

I have moved your post to the chicken keeping section so more people with chickens can see it.

Poo is always a topic of fascination with us chicken keepers! I certainly wouldn't worry about it being runny yet. The change of environment and feed is bound to have had some effect.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Layers mash and pellets are the same things!

Dont mix with the corn, give that as a treat!

The runny poos will soon settle down!Welcome to the forum!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
JosieJo
Learner Laner

Post by JosieJo »

Thank you for your replies - all very helpful. Thanks for moving subject too - realised was in the wrong area but didn't know how to/or if I could move. Will try not to worry about the poo after reading the advice from you all.

Thanks again.

Great site/forum. Have already got loads of tips.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

(f+ (f+ (f+

hi josiejo and welcome from me :) :)

good advice above )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Hi josiejo - well it looks like you have already received some good advice from others, so I will just say a warm welcome to the forum. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
manda

Post by manda »

Hi Josiejo
Layers mash is the powder form of pellets, if they have problems with the pellets just soak them in some warm (not hot) water and they will turn to mash.
Enjoy them, they will give you hours of fun..much better than the TV or housework!! :-D )t'
Manda
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
thebunster
Lively Laner

Post by thebunster »

Hi JosieJo

I really wouldn't worry about the odd runny poo. I used to get so concerned about these when I first got my girls, but I soon learned that chicken poo from one bird can be runny one minue, solid the next, then white and then green...!

Mine plop out the odd runny one now and then even when their diet has been completely stable and when they haven't been tucking into grass or other greenery.

The new home will have unsettled them a bit but they should be fine. So long as the overnight poos are solid you needn't worry.

Welcome to the forum!
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Hi and welcome to the forum (f+

Poo - one of our favourite subjects ^b: LOL
Jackie xx
anj53
Lively Laner

Post by anj53 »

Hi Josie welcome to the forum.Loads of brains to pick on DTL i call it my chicken encyclopedia at the press of a button )t' )t' anj.
Aileen Boag
Learner Laner

Post by Aileen Boag »

Hi There

I am new to the chicken world too. I find that when the chickens have some corn their poo is at bit loose and very light brown in colour. Their normal poo is brown with a bit of white and fairly firm. I think that it just varies and is nothing too much to worry about unless it is consistently runny. All I know is there is plenty of it - definately do not have constipated hens !!!!

Welcome to the the forum - Aileen