What can't I feed my chickens

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

What can't I feed my chickens

Post by OldForum »

country mouse
I am new at keeping chickens.
I got two new hampshire cross's (I think thats what the man said) last Saturday.

I have been told NOT to give them any citrus, potato or onion. Is there anything else I shouldnt give them?

Thanks for your help

Wendy
I am no expert by any means. But my girls eat virtually anything.
I can inderstand the no onions or garlic as I am sure that would make the eggs taste of it. But mine love potato, and I know of others who give potato peelings. I don't give mine peelings as I don't eat potoes.
My girls have cooked potato and I remember my Dad used to cook the potato peeling for our chickens when I was a child, so perhaps they were talking about raw ones. I am sure someone else will give you more advice. I would be interested to see if there is anything they shouldn't have. I have never thought to give mine citrus fruit so I wouldn't know.
Welcome to the forum.

smallholderwannabe
I feed my chicken pretty well anything, too. They have their layers pellets as their main course and 'pudding' is whatever else has accumulated through the day as well as a handful of corn. They have cooked potatoes, any veg either cooked or raw and chopped up, fruit, bits of bread. About the only thing I don't give them is meat. They are also fond of the occasional dandelion and several other weeds.

Wendy
Re reading my post. It seems strange I give them potato, but then say we don't have them.
Just to explain, I get veg from a friend who runs a restaurant, and he gives me anything that doesn't go on the plates. He also doesn't use salt.
Wendy

Mo
I seem to remember reading wartime advice when food was short. Hens do not digest potatoes well, but cooked are better than raw.
I remember my Grandma cooking up a foul smelling bran mash, with veg peelings etc in it, mostly potato.

Richard
Mine get left over jacket potatoes from cricket! It all sems to go.

I think the answer is that the chickens know. Much like domestic pets, they seem to know what is and what isn't right for them.

This shows when you may throw a lot of weeds and grass cuttings over the top of the fence. Like rabbits, they seem to love dandelion leaves.

Also, they do like things which are cooked. Mine sometimes won't eat a vegetable, but cooked up - yummy yummy.

Strange aren't they - but, so are we !!

MrMacca
Hi.
what i do with my sunday peelings is boil them then give it to my 6 girls who adore it. all mixed up then here we go happy days. They love it and ontop of that theres no waste. Gud day had by all.
Hope you find this helpful.