Building a Chicken Ark or Converting a Rabbit Hutch

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Building a Chicken Ark or Converting a Rabbit Hutch

Post by OldForum »

jonny
Hi all,
I have never kept chickens before and am thinking about "saving" two battery hens, i have had rabbits and guinea pigs before so i have a couple of spare hutches and runs and i was wondering if i join i hutch and run (its a large run i made for a big rabbit to have more freedom, about the size of two normal outdoor runs) together and make two nest boxes for inside the hutch, would this work for two ex-battery hens?? i also have a large pen they could go when supervised. If that would not work i thought of constructing a basic ark and joining it to the run.
Thanks, any adice welcome

Richard
Sounds good to me, although you haven't said the sizes?

Just got to make sure they're fox proof, or a fox proof as it can be.

If it's more than the size of the A4 sheets scenario where they had 5 inhabitants - it has to be good!! Plus the fresh air and the occasional roam - splendid stuff.

Cheers, Richard

PS - I had my first two chickens in a 6' x 3' Ark.

jonny
Thanks for the advise. Iv had my fair share of fox proofing before! But no attacks, yet! I would just like to say great website, there is no other downsising/chicken keeping website that competes.

katie
If you do use an old rabit hutch, make sure you scrub it out really well and use a disinfectant such as Virkon before putting chickens in it. This is because cocciodosis can be passed from one species to the other and can kill.

I'm using a hutch and adapted run at the moment for a couple of bantams and it works well.
Good luck with your plans.

jonny
Thanks for the advice could you please send me some photos of your set up to jonny-roberts@hotmail.com.