chickens eating thier own eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

chickens eating thier own eggs

Post by OldForum »

katej
Hello, I found my chickens eating one of their own eggs this morning, is this a problem? Thanks, Kate

Matt
I'm afraid that it is indeed a problem which will turn into a very bad habit if not checked asap.

The reason for the apparent cannablism is the fact that the shells are extremely rich in calcium which paradoxically means the chooks will eat them in order to make shell for new eggs (they are quite stupid really aren't they!).

It is a good thing to recycle the used shells back into their diet but only once they are crushed beyond all recognition, as soon as they realise that they are eating bits of shell then they start to attack their own eggs as yours have done.

Probable initial causes are that somehow one of the eggs broke accidentally and being the inquisitive and greedy creatures they are will have quickly discovered this new 'delicacy' or as I have said when the owner doesn't disguise broken shell well enough. I remember when I first got my chooks I saw one of them pecking at an egg but I whipped it away and luckily haven't seen this type of behavour since.

I think the best solution is to make sure they have access to calcium in the form of crushed oyster shell (also refered to as soluble poultry grit) and as I said very well crushed used shell and try to snaffle the eggs as soon as possible.

Hope that helps,

katej
Thanks Matt, Im hoping its because three of my hens squeezed into the nest box last night and I hope it was just a breakage as they were getting out. I suppose its all trials to start with with Ex batts! If I could remember my password I would log in properly as Kate, I will get them some grit too. Thanks

Mo
Lets hope its a one-off. Oh, the frustrations onpoutry keeping

Kate
it seems it was a one off, i collected two eggs this evening from the nesting box, its taken them less than a week to use is, one chicken was still in there so there may be more. typical "new mum" - worried about every little thing!!

Wendy
I also have a chicken who eats the eggs. I know it is Janice. I catch her most mornings.
Yesterday I tried blowing a egg, I filled it with a mixture of mustard and tabasco sauce. That will stop the b****r I thought.
Well unfortunately it is an old wives tale. Not only was an egg eaten, but two of them were eating the mustard mixture LOLOL. So I may be getting some spicey eggs in a day or two.
I have tried putting a dummy egg in there, it worked for a day or so and then she went back.
The only way I can get them first is to open the hen house before it gets light.
Anyone else any other idea's

Mo
I try the mustard egg, it seems to deter them for a bit.
Yours must have different taste buds!