Transporting chooks...?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Transporting chooks...?

Post by OldForum »

matt
I don't have any birds yet but am going to Clitheroe next week on the look out. I have just thought 'What will I put them in to get them into the car then out of the car and onto the allotment?' Can I use a cardboard box with holes in it? Will I be provided with such a thing if I buy some birds? Should I invest in a transport cage?

What do you guys use when moving chooks about?

AnnaB
I use a cat basket - don't do what a woman did who went to collect ex-battery girls .....she had a suitcase with no holes in it!!! Needless to say she wasn't allowed to take any. I don't know how many you are collecting but stout cardboard boxes with lots of holes should be OK. I also take water and some cabbage leaves just in case they get bored.

Mo
I take a cardboard box, and interlock the top flaps. They huddle down together in the dark. (took 3 biggish boxes the first time,1 was enough)
There's rules if you are taking them far, but I got mine from 20 minutes away.
It would be silly to go there without a box, they might find you one but...
The people who take hens to shows have special crates of course.

matt
Thanks for the replies ladies

LOL Anna,

I'll leave the suitcase under the bed then seriously though whoever would try that can't be trusted to keep chooks imo

Mo,

I reckon the cardboard box idea is a winner.

Thanks again,

sunchick
We brought along our old hamster cage when we collected our 4 x12 week old chicks. they fitted in comfortably and we put a towel over them to calm them on the car trip.

CelticLC
We picked up our first hens last night from a local breeder (10 minutes away) who is trying to reduce his stock. We used carboard boxes with holes. He told us he had some people turn up with carrier bags, expecting to take hens home in them when they lived over an hour away. Suffice to say they went home empty handed.

It astonishes me how some people think they can treat animals.

Matt
LOL, the idiocy of some folk. Were they expecing them to be plucked and shrinkwraped as well C?