Nest Box and Coop Material

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Got some Hemcore yesterday afternoon, but as of yet, not put it in the coop
The instructions say to add water to it once in situ, and to leave it to dry for a few hours - not enough time left in the day to mess around with it I'm afraid!!!!
So my ladies have shredded paper once again!!!

PS

found another similar bedding, again made from hemp
http://www.aubiose.co.uk/
dunno if it has the citronella though, its not mentioned
Last edited by Citrine on 10 Sep 2007, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

sunny
Lively Laner

Post by sunny »

I've been using something called Bliss, which is mainly used for horses as it's dust free. It's a rape straw and also has Citronella in it. It smells nice and I think does keep down the flies. I use it everywhere, under the perch, as bedding and in their ark run if it needs it. I just brush it away once a week and cleaning has proved very easy. Their run though, takes more effort as it needs to be raked up. What doesn't get raked and composted, disappears/disintergrates really quickly and the grass grows back very fast. I tend to move the Ark to a new patch of grass every couple of weeks. I would recommend it for smaller hutches/runs as it may prove quite expensive if you have a large run and hutch. Also, as mine are left to roam the garden daily, they don't make that much mess in their run.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Nest Box and Coop Material

Post by AnnaB »

Didn't get the hemcore as the feed supplier said it had to be sprayed with water. I did get some fine wood shavings which are a lot like cotton wool - it is so soft. The bag was very compacted and it blows around easily. The debris is easy to get out of the coop. I am wondering if it is like 'Bliss'?
I had been using small chipped wood pieces which I thought were a bit scratchy.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Bliss sounds very much like Hemcore-been using it for a couple of weeks now, and its marvellous stuff!!
You only need to 'water' a small amount to activate it.
Its really absorbent, and easy to deal with at change the bedding time.
I dont think I'll use anything else now.