Stoats

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Stoats

Post by Gwenoakes »

Do stoats take chickens if they get a chance?
Asking because they are round where we live and the cats (dont know which one) has actually killed one this last few days and deposited it on the doorstep. Thanks Gwen.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Wow. Some cat!
I watched a stoat kill a rabbit once (just happened to be in the right place at the right time), saw movement, stoat must have seen me and my bike at the same time, he dashed for cover, then after I waited a while he put his head up cautiously, then came back for rabbit.
Don't know about hens, they've got vicious beaks, but I wouldn't be sure.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Stoats

Post by AnnaB »

Gwenoakes I would say yes - I know the girls have good beaks but rabbits haven't a chance even fully grow ones. An old fellow in the village once said that they hypnotise the rabbit - it stands still and they make their move.
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

on another forum i belong to people have lost chickens to stoats.

they can be more of a problem then the dreaded mr fox!

good luck :(
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Awwww, just what I didnt want to hear. Well stoats cannot get through half inch wire, so thats a start.
Will maybe have to think about investing in more cats! Especially the ones that can either see them off or finish them off :wink:
Tell you what though guys, that stoat was some handsome, shame he had an early end.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Afraid that's true - and by sheer co-incidence, one of our cats brought a Stoat home the other day. Beautiful creatures though.

Law of the Jungle, but not a very nice one - for us that is.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well there must be a nest (if thats the right word) of them as the cat has caught another young one yesterday. Heard this awful squealing/squeaking sound, went out and saw cat with stoat. Harry the cat is a proficient killer though, so was very quickly dispatched. Couldnt help but feeling sorry for it though. :(
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Stoats

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Gwenoakes
At least Harry is keeping your girls safe!
Anna