Poorly hen

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Poorly hen

Post by OldForum »

Lynsdey
One of my chickens, Mary, is laying shellless eggs nearly every other day now.

For hours before she lays one, she just stands there looking really miserable and puffed up. Once she's laid it she is back to normal and enjoys tucking into her deposit!

I have been giving her oyster shell grit and chicken spice to see if that would make any difference but it hasn't, does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the problem and what I can do to help her?

Thanks in advance...

Mandy
I have a chicken called Ginger who had very similar symptoms. She would spend a few hours looking extremely poorly with her tail down, before finally laying a very thin shelled egg.
After laying she was back to normal till the next time. We tried extra oyster shell and poultry spice but nothing made any difference.
Then we read of the importance of greens in their diet. For two weeks now we have been giving her brocolli, cabbage or cauliflower to peck at and for the past three days she has laid normal eggs and seems back to her old self.

Lynsdey
What a coincidence, I put some broccoli in the coop this morning!

I hope it is as simple as that - thanks so much for letting me know...