moulting, feathers everywhere

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
katandjames
Learner Laner

Post by katandjames »

is it normal for all chickens (both male and female) to loose their feathers (it sounded mostly like people were referring to males), because all of ours seem to be loosing them from around their tails, and nowhere else. The cuckoo marrans look especially daft because they have literally lost all of their feathers from the tail down to their 'under carriage'!!
i'm worried they are gonna get a little cold! how long will it be until they grow them back??
thanks
kat and james

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

moulting, feathers everywhere

Post by AnnaB »

Hi katandjames

All chickens moult - its like animals have a winter and summer coat and moult in between. Sometimes it is a small amount of feathers and other times they loose a lot. If they are eating and laying then there is nothing wrong. They will need extra protein at this time (thanks to another forum).
Anna
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Yes, we looked all over the site> I'm not too great on the web really so maybe we jsut 'looked in the wrong place' when searching.
The council now know we have chickens (we ahd to get them in to check something in our garden) so nothing to hide now! :(
I presume that if lots of other people around the area hadve them then it should be ok.

I went ot collect some chuck food at our local farm at teh w/end...there was a FTGH to a cockerel. apparently he was too sweet and friendly so the person couldn't cull him...I've got the number but so far not done anything....we have healthy large breeeds of chucks and a healthy small breed of chucks so either way he could fit in. Not the ex-batts of course and no way would I hatch out any eggs.....ohhhhh what to do..!
W
seahorse
Legendary Laner

free to good home

Post by seahorse »

GO GET HIM! They are soooo cute, and full of character. I'm sure the ladies will be happier with a gentle man to protect them.
(f+ annie.
Looove chucks!
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

My Daisy is moulting awfully. Shes grown new fluff round her neck now though but she is still losing tail feathers. I thought something was up until the lady I got 'em from said no they do moult.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
seahorse
Legendary Laner

moulting

Post by seahorse »

I think the Colonel is turning into a porcupine! His neck feathers are still quilled so i spent a few minutes yesterday easing off some of the tubes surrounding each feather. All I can say is that it must be a bit draughty around his skinny little neck. He spent two hours sunbathing as it was such a gorgeous day again. what a life? BTW
still no sign of a new tail feather yet. He wont let me take anymore pics til he is fully plumed again, old grump! (f+
Looove chucks!
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Seahorse - we got soooo close again last w/end. Cute male needs home rather than culling. I have a big chuck pen and a lil chuck pen so size didn't mattter :oops: OH 'chickened out again. I think the main prob. is we would fall for him (like the last one) and he'd either 1) hate us or 2) be soooo loud we would have no choice but to move him on. I don't move animals on. Take what I get they're for keeps!

Had loads of support from another forum and STILL not done anything about a male forthe girlies!
Regarding feather moulting it apparanetly can take 12 weeks to fully moult. Usually in a specific sequence but some of mine are/were practically bald. Maybe as the tailfeather isn't 'important' in a fight or flight kind of way that'll be the last to grow.
I peal away some of the shaft too. Really absorbing but is it ok to do that?!
Wendy
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Hi chucky egg
Should be ok to help with the removal of new quill covers or whatever they are called. Colonel just stands there and lets me do it, such a softie. These new feathers will be great, he looks so splendid in the sun with all his different colours. I thought I saw a new white feather starting to grow on his rear but he wouldnt let me
feel, dont blame him really :-D (f+ . Annie
Looove chucks!