eggs without shells

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
purplelady
Learner Laner

eggs without shells

Post by purplelady »

I have 3 chickens, 2 of which lay 'normal' eggs with hard shells. Tiger lays different eggs every day, sometimes white, thinner shells, and the last 2 days they haven't had a shell at all. Any suggestions?

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hello there, nice to 'meet' you.

Occasionally all chickens go through a strange egg spell, it can sometimes be a diet thing.
If they're out and about, they should be getting all the 'extra's' which they like, but if in an Ark or a Run, it may be that she requires a bit of a boost.

Two things I use are Grit and roasted egg shells.

The Grit is available in most places where you buy the chicken feed.

With Shells - After using the egg for whatever purpose, put them in your Oven and roast until they're a crispy brown.
Take them out, grind down and give them to the chooks.

There is absolutely no harm in doing this and it's an age old, tried, tested practice.

Hope that helps. I'm sure other's here have other methods.

Richard
Last edited by Richard on 17 Sep 2007, 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Have they only recently started laying? Mine took quite a while settling down to laying 'propa' eggs.. I still get the odd soft one and very rarely one without shell.. but I put that down to the fact that I have a late developer and she's still practicing... They all get fed the same layers pellets and grain and are all free range during the day...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi.
I have 4 who don't lay very often now. But they have soft shells sometimes. I have shelstim that I put in their water. Supposed to work. Whether it does or not is open to discussion.
Mine have hen grit and oyster shell, and it goes so they must eat it.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
purplelady
Learner Laner

Post by purplelady »

Thanks, I have tried roasted egg shells, but she isn't interested, although the other 2 are!! Seems ok now, although her eggs are smaller, whiter and the shells are thinner. None of them are interested in grit, but they are running around the garden a lot of the time. They started laying eggs in May, so maybe still settling in. :-D