A whole week

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Tania
Lively Laner

A whole week

Post by Tania »

The girls have been with us for a week now - and I've learned a lot, both from them and on here - as well as the books on chicken keeping that I picked up at the library.

For anyone just thinking of getting hens, can I say that I wish I'd done it years ago, they've brought us much pleasure this week.

Reading a discussion on here about what to use on the floor of the hen house (mine is our shed and the girls have a small run outside which they have access to most of the day) I got some sawdust (big bale from the feed supplier) yesterday. Previously I had straw. This morning I was able to go in and clean up the night's droppings with a cat litter scoop, much better. Also I noticed that the shed appears much brighter with the sawdust floor - might be better for the light levels?

Also, for the first time last night the girls slept on their perch :-D

Thanks everyone for such a great forum - reading through the posts has given me confidence, and particularly to Richard for all of the work that goes into it.

Next week we should have a new fence installed and the girls will have more freedom when I am out in the garden to keep an eye on them.

Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

They're great aren't they - as I said a while back, they should be prescribed by the nhs... fresh eggs and instant smiles.. :mrgreen:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

awww Tania

youve caught the bug now for sure!!

glad youre gettng as much enjoyment from as we all do here!

kat x )t'
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Tania,
Every morning I just pcik up the poop. It is easier with the sawdust isn't it?, just cover and pick up. I wear rubber gloves. Certainly keeps the hen house nice and clean all day. Then they do it all again the next night !!
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

Regarding sawdust - I produce loads of the stuff in my workshop but I read somewhere it wasn't that good for them as the fine dust amongst the shavings can cause breathing difficulties which - I read - they are prone too. I was planing to use paper from teh shredding machine but I'd rather use the sawdust tham just burning it as I do now.
wendy

Post by wendy »

You are right, the actual saw 'dust' is too fine. But really what I use is wood shavings but habit makes me say sawdust.
Hay is also too 'dusty' for their air sacks. Thanks for pointing that out.
I found the shredded paper get very wet and messy. I did try it. Some people get on with it fine, I just didn't like it.

Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Glad to see you're enjoying life!

Richard

PS - I just hide - the Mods do all the work )de:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Yeah, mine is small shavings too - not "dust".

Just been to a car boot sale and picked up 3 stacking plastic trays - red, yellow and blue which are now under the perch with shavings in. A chicken toilet - for 50p