Help with Chicken Enclosure Roof?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Help with Chicken Enclosure Roof?

Post by OldForum »

Ade Walton

Hi peeps!

As you maybe awear we are doing the final bits to our chicken enclosure before the chooks arrive - I need help with this guy & girls....

The roof of the area - what is best?

We have tinmber posts with metal open square mess to the side and front elevation (its only two sided as the other two walls are part of our house if you are with me!!).

We are going to put some kind a roof over the enclosure - just cos we have some materails already, we have to deceide which to use.

We were going to go with the metal corrigated sheets but then we thought that it might make it to dark?

We are now thinking of using the same material we used for the front and side - this would allow more light of course... which is a good thing right?

The area is already a bit on the dark side as there are lots of tress and a big hill / mountain at the back where the chicken areas is.

I was worried about it raining through the open square mess and the chickens getting wet etc, they will of course have a house in the enclosure to dry off / shelter in too.

The feeder I have bought has a rain hat to it and with the drinker I guess does not matter if it gets wet???

Four RIR's arriving end of March..... you know what don't tell anyone but I am soooooo looking forward to them joining us (3 adults, two labradors & the new chicks on the block......4 RIR's)

Any ideas would be greatfully taken onboard.

Wendy
Hi Ade,
I have just wood on the top of my little house. Do not put felt on it, as it harbours the dreaded red mite.
I assume, provided it keep the rain and wind out, any type of roofing will do, as they spend all day outside and only go into lay and sleep.
Mine can go in if it is raining, but they don't seem to worry too much, but that maybe because they are ex battery hens and they prefer the freedom.
By all means get excited, I certainly did, and they are still absolutely delightful and we are all totally hooked and love them dearly.
Wendy