Coloured eggs

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Willow
Legendary Laner

Coloured eggs

Post by Willow »

Has anyone got Marans and just how brown are the eggs?? and... has anyone got the breed that lays blue eggs?? Begins with 'A' and I couldnt be bothered to find the spelling again!! :oops:
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Coloured eggs

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Willow
The butcher has blue eggs and has offered me some chicks (I shall stay with my ex battery girls) I too forget what breed they are but shall ask him next time.
Anna
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

http://www.araucanas.co.uk/ :wink:

Chart showing egg colours for different breeds HERE

I found a better one than this last weekend but didn't bookmark it :(
steve
Learner Laner

blue eggs

Post by steve »

I have one blue maran, but so far I havent had any eggs (2 weeks) since I got it. The eggs are meant to be brown, as are the black rock and the buff orpington eggs but I am still waiting. I was going to get one which laid blue eggs but wasnt able to at the time, and now I dont mind what colour they are as long as one lays something soon.
STEVE R
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Steve,
Ive had my chooks for a while now (3 weeks??) and today we got 2 eggs!!!! it is well worth the wait, you must be patient and let nature take its course!
Hens are very clever!

From a very PROUD Geddauk :wink:
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Welcome Steve and congratulations Geddauk! I'm waiting for eggs too - keep checking every day, I'll be thrilled when I find one :-D
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

The maran eggs are supposed to be a deep chocolate brown.. but I've reaad that a lot of interbreading has lead to the strains of maran being dilute and therefore reducing the depth of colour... .. I'm looking for some that lay the really dark brown eggs.. the blue egg layer is the Araucana, but there is another one...
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

I have speckled maran / rhode island crosses and they lay dark brown, slightly speckled eggs - they are lovely and taste fab - I am still very excited every morning when I go to let them out and find an egg. My 12 year old son has learned how to cook omlettes for himself 'cos he loves them so much!
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

Found the link to different egg colours that I'd lost the other day:
HERE
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
melons
Legendary Laner

egg colour

Post by melons »

& another site, skyline lay blue eggs too.

http://www.wernlas.com/
Cheers
mel x