Feather pecking solution?????????

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
melons
Legendary Laner

Feather pecking solution?????????

Post by melons »

Right, I may, just may, have lost the plot here, but I've been thinking right outside the box with this one, one of my girls steals feathers, not lots of them, but Fanny only as a few :shock:
I've tried anti pecking spray, she ignores it, I've tried peck blocks, ignores them, without listing all my trials & tribulations, this is what I've now tried.
She only ever takes feathers from where the underneath white feathers are exposed, so once the white ones are on show, she thinks it's fair game to take a couple more, but they are loosing more & more feathers on their fronts, it's not moulting, it's definalty stealing, so :idea: I've mixed up a solution of antipecking spray with some brown food colouring in it, so they are now almost proper brown "looking" hens, & so far she hasn't taken any :-D :-D & the feathers have already grown a bit.
It may sound barking, but desperate things call for desperate measures & she's been a naughty girl, she does it to all except one, who is now fully feathered, & we need all our feathers for this chilly weather.
So I'll keep you posted on this one, it may fail :? but I'm willing to try anything, it certainly hasn't harmed anyone.
What other solutions are there, without seperating her & I'm certainly not using a ring on her :(
Keep your fingers crossed for my weird trial run.
Cheers
mel x

Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

:-D Great mental picture of you painting your chickens! Hope it continues to work )t'
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
melons
Legendary Laner

how bizzare

Post by melons »

I've just had a nosey at your chickens & noticed you'd been to the Hollycombe steam collection, my friends run that :-D Peter & Lorraine, we went for our first shufty round there last year & went on all the same rides, small world.
Cheers
mel x
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

I love it there and want to go again when they have an evening opening - but the boys are now teenage dirtbags and it's probably not "cool" anymore.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

using food dye why don't you make a multi coloured flock
pinks-reds blue just think
what a laugh
even stripey ones!
possabilitys are endless!
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

I've just laughed 'til I cried - sorry Melons but what a funny story. An ingenious solution though! Like the idea of a group of chick punks too...............hhmmmmm...
wendy (Chucky Egg)
melons
Legendary Laner

madness

Post by melons »

I admit they do look a bit mad, but then they do without feathers :shock:
I tried it on the more feathered ones first, just in case madam got the taste for it, then I finally sprayed Mrs I've not got no feathers :oops:
She grows one, then it's nicked, grows another, then that's nicked, so she's not taking masses, as we don't have masses, but I personally find it gutting to find our prize winning feather is "again" missing.
Action was needed :wink:
I had it sprayed up my face, on my wellies, all over my jeans & hands, but the girls look great :-D
I read on another thread that someone white girls are bullying the brown girls, or the other way round, maybe they could paint the flock more suitable colours, only joking :-D
Cheers
mel x
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

you do tell a good story though :wink: ...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, we've got a member called Paxo, maybe you should change your name to Gravy Browning.
melons
Legendary Laner

mmm

Post by melons »

Or "Streaky bacon" Mo, it's all gone streaky in the rain, but still on there & doing it's job......so far :-D
Cheers
mel x
Al B
Lively Laner

Post by Al B »

I went to a posh B & B once where the guy had dyed all his doves blue and pink using food colouring - now he was bonkers! Painting the chickens sounds quite normal in comparison.