Mr.Fox

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Mr.Fox

Post by OldForum »

anita
a tip i picked up from a telly prog, get the man of the house to pee round the chicken hut, or if you are worried about the neighbours save it up in a squeezy bottle and spray around the coop. mr fox will recognize the scent of a dominant male and go elsewhere, it works with the neighbours cats too.

Wendy
Hi Anita,
My house backs onto a large 54 acre field. A nightime pleasure for ourselves and our neighbours, is to watch the foxes out there, and the cubs play when they are around.
So it was a worry when we decided to get our girls. We also read the same information. So twice a week, my husband 'obliges' along the back fence, in the only place they could get over, large trees elsewhere. I have had the hens since October 2005 and so far no sign of the fox in the garden. Although we see them the other side. We are not complacent and shut them up every night time without fail though.
If he gets arrested, I will put the newspaper cutting on this forum LOL
Wendy

Richard
I've done that,but beware - it should have a health and personal safety warning attached to it, If you've seen the photos of my chicken run, you'll gue4ss why - and I have the t-shirt!!

The other secret is, half for the chicken fence, half for the compost heap.

Dix
It wouldn't be anything to do with nettles would it Richard?!

Richard
Indeed it would. One of those moments you never forget!!

Tim
Hi - this is my first time so here goes......

I have a chicken ark that I have just had to move to the bottom of my garden. I have laid 50cm thick wire on the ground all around the ark. This has also been nailed to the ark. Will this stop foxes burrowing into it? Do foxes burrow?

Richard
I think this is what we're saying.

Have a peep at http://www.downthelane.net/chicken-fencing.html (3rd picture down)

Cheers Richard (excuse bad artwork!!)