The Joy of ....

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Tania
Lively Laner

The Joy of ....

Post by Tania »

Chickens!

Our fence between our garden and the neighbours was erected yesterday and the girls had their first outing in the garden. They loved it. It's so good to watch them doing chickeny things.

I was wary though of them disappearing through our hedge into the field so today bought 50 meters of 1 meter high orange plastic mesh barrier fencing (the sort that builders use) and some steel fencing pins to hold it up. I got a good deal at Build Center £19.54 +vat. It worked a treat when I let them out this afternoon. Won't keep a fox out, but will keep the girls in the garden and they are only going to be out of their pen when I'm out there with them.

I did some gardening jobs with the girls following me around, then sat for a cuppa and was reading. Next thing, Fred jumped up on my lap and sat there happily and let me stroke her.

They make me laugh out loud. 3 of them trying to dust bathe together in the same spot, one finding a worm and another grabbing the other end of it and then they "shout" at each other. They potter around and when they come close to where I am they "talk" to me.

I think I've gone past the point of no return. :-D

Getting them back into the run has been easy - armed with a tub of tinned sweetcorn. I've been giving them a little each day, shaking the tub as I go up to the run. Today when I wanted them to go back I got the tub from the fridge and walked to the run, calling them and shaking the tub - they got there before I did.
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

The Joy of ....

Post by AnnaB »

Tania

Thank you, since yesterday when the little girls got into the raised beds, I decided I needed something very portable to contain them when they are free ranging and I am with them. At present I only have 6 frames (4 are in use elsewhere) and they are too crowded in them.
I've been checking out prices for aluminum poles today for support and I also need some cheap lightweight mesh.

I have also looked at those build balls for support but they are too expensive. I need some plastic ones and OH will drill the holes.

Any ideas welcome.
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

Sounds great Tania!

I can't freerange my girls with my two dogs so built an enourmous run. I spend alot of time sitting in there laughing at the antics, having a chat.........they are such good company!!

Love the pics - the coup is fantastic.

cheers
Jodi
melons
Legendary Laner

netting.

Post by melons »

Anna, I can recomend the Knowles netting which I brought,
http://www.knowlenets.co.uk/pest_game/p ... etting.htm

It's really strong & cheap, being black you can barely see it, so it looks ok in the garden too, my girls have never jumped it or not seen it, I've brought stacks of the stuff, comes next day delivery too.
Just a suggestion :-D
Cheers
mel x