Run size..

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Willow
Legendary Laner

Run size..

Post by Willow »

I'm thinking of a run 20" x 9" which would be 180sq foot... Would that be big enough to house eight chooks or ten?? occasional whole day, usual half day.....
Mine love being in the undergrowth when they're free ranging - so I'm thinking of planting some low growing bushes in the run.. I may also build a large platform about 3 foot off the ground, this would give shade to the area underneath and 'extra floor space' at a height they like.. The posibilities are endless!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein

Russell
Lively Laner

Post by Russell »

Richard did say that my proposed 12' x 8' run would be big enough for 70! I propose 6. I'll think you'll have plenty of room for 8 or 10.

I've also had thoughts about adding some staging, made of a pallet, to create shade and give them something to jump on/off.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

True Russell, that would be the legal amount - but absolutely NOT what I would anywhere near recommend!!

I also agree with your estimation Russell - They'd have ample room to do what chickens do!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

In their present run 6' x 12' - they have a small platform at about 3' height which they love but its only about 18" x 18"... their favourite roost is at about 3ft and is a plank! The platform I'm thinking of now will be at least 5ft by 5ft.. and possibly have a small shelter on it... Its going to be ....."Chicken World!!"
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

nice home

Post by melons »

I love tinkering with my girls house, it's gets the ole grey matter ticking, only time it's used now :shock: :oops:

Good luck with it all, it will give you something to focus on after your run of bad luck.
Cheers
mel x
Le Chant
Learner Laner

Post by Le Chant »

We have 4 chooks at the 'mo and their run is approx 12' x 18', but they're free-ranging the grounds at the 'mo with it being quiet here. We have lots of bark down in their run too and they don't suffer for it. We also have a gravel driveway which they've just discovered (they're getting braver!) with no harm at all.

Our main problem at the 'mo is our egg-thieving pooch! She's taken to diving into their coop when no-one's looking and nicking the eggs! She carries them in her mouth oh-so-gently to a hiding place before eating them! Shell too!

Any advice?
Cheers,

Stu.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

New run started this morning.. the 2"x2" was purchased last week... ten foot lengths! It looked long so we measured and found it to be just over 12ft..
We started expanding the first section of the existing run and have just spent the past hour trying to figure out why it wont stand straight...
The wood we bought hadnt been cut to the correct lengths. or to the same length.. It was in a bundle so how we didnt notice is beyond me... mind you at that length its not so easy to get an overview...
There is a difference of four inches in some of the timber!! no wonder it wasn't plumb!!
Anyway the upshot is that we now have to take off the mesh and start again.... lots of under breath naughty words.....
It will be worth it in the end )hlp> )gr:
It looks as though the finished article should now be just over 12ft by 20ft... ish....

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

well done

Post by melons »

If you've had weather like here today, it's been perfect tinkering weather, I've been playing outside all afternoon :-D
Did you tempt yourselves with some ex batts & call Lucy ( I think that was her name?)
At least your wood was longer & not shorter :wink:
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Mel I called Lucy but she hasnt got a free stable at the mo, so wont be rehoming any ex batts for a while. Lovely lady though, she gave me another number but I havent been able to get anyone to answer the other end yet! I think her name is Jane Howarth near Bristol.. I'd like to get the ex batts shortly as ideally I'd like to get all the new chooks at once..

Albert Einstein