Feet stamping

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Feet stamping

Post by OldForum »

Lynsdey
Hi there,

Can anybody tell me why chickens stamp their feet when you go near them?! I assume it is some sort of defense mechanism because they are wary but I get on really well with my chickens but sometime when I go to pick one of them up she will stiffen her wings and stamp her feet repeatedly. If is quite amusing to see and I would love to know the reason for it...!

Could anybody shed light on this behaviour?

Thanks!

Mo
Looks like no-one knows then.
Mine don't do that, mostly if I want to pick them up they run away squawking, one cowers down with her wings (shoulders) out.

Lynsdey
How bizzare! I feel lucky to have such unique chickens!

Richard
It's interesting this.

If I go towards the chickens to pick one up, they'll either run for it, or do as you and Mo say.

It could be that by keeping absolutely still, they feel more protected.

Oh well, they've only got teeny brains !!!! But are a lot more sensible than some people I bump into!

AnnaB
Here, here Richard (more intelligent than many people). I have recently trained one of mine to perch. I now go out with the torch shine it on the perch and up she jumps up - no verbal or physical promts. As for foot stamping I haven't seen that either. Maybe when I get my next girls I will have one.

Richard
You didn't have the sound up too high on 'Strictly Come Dancing' last week did you !!

Although-------wait for it-------they won't be doing the foxtrot will they

Lynsdey
Foxtrot huh...? Don't give me ideas! However, being the owner of the world's first dancing chickens does sound quite appealing...

Wendy
Yup Lyndsey, the only owner.
Never seen mine do it either LOL. I suppose there must be a reason. But I am with the others, they usually duck with their wings out, if I go to pick them up.
Wendy

Noreuika
Hello

I have a chicken who stamps her feet, its really comical, like you, i think its some kind of warning for the other birds.