Black Rocks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Black Rocks

Post by OldForum »

AdeWalton
Hello everyone,

As you lot mostly know I am a new chicken keeper.
We are just finishing the house and run.......then........!
We are getting four black rock hens, you know what I can't wait, was RIR's but been told BR are better?

I would love to hear all your thoughts on the type of hen we are getting, love to hear off people who have black rocks now.
Would love to learn all the do's and dont's too.

Have have your black rocks been?
Where did you get them from?
How old where they when you got them?
Did they lay right away or was it some time after you got them?
What amount of eggs are you getting?
Any info would be really appricated indeed?

I can't get enough info, reading all you storeies would be cool, it would also help me no end?

Mo
2 of my first 3 hens were Black Rocks. I got them as point of lay from a local supplier Garden Poultry in Kingsley, Cheshire (they don't sell them now, different members of the family run it and sell different hybrid).
They had been Point-of-Lay for a few weeks and started laying for me straight away. I got them at the beginning of March.
The first year Nancy laid 348 eggs and Peggy 270 (with 11 weeks off being broody).
The second year Nancy laid 104 in 4 months, then was found dead (she got out one hot day, we wondered if it was because she couldn't get at her water, we carefully leave water for the wild birds now). Peggy laid 295 (broody 5 weeks).
The third year she laid 220 eggs but never came into lay after the moult.
Beautiful hens, I'd have more of them if I could get them.

AdeWalton
Hi Mo,

Thanks for the info.
I can give you the name of the place etc where I am getting mine from if you wish?
Just let me know - ok?

Mo
My ark is full at the moment, but I'd be interested to hear how you get on with them, and have the name of the place for later.

ilenny
I have been trying to get hold of Black Rocks in the yorkshire area but have had little success.
Can anyone assist me in finding a supplier.
Thanks

[b]Ade Walton[/b]
Hi ilenny,

I don't know if its ok to post his contact details on the forum?

Where abouts are you?
I live in North Wales, the guy I am getting mine off lives over here in Wales?

I will give you a site address, you can see where the nearest breeder is, I will paste the link below:

http://www.theblackrock.co.uk/agents.htm

Mine are off a guy who gets them off Cyril Bason in Shropshire - you see its a long way to Shropshire so I contacted Cyril and asked if he supplied anyone in the North Wales area, he gave me the name and phone number of this guy, his details were in Practical Poultry too.

I was told to make sure they are true black rocks because you get some people selling other breeds as black rock's - I did some homework to find that they all come from Scotland I think.

Anyway thats what I did.

They are 20 weeks old and cost me £8 / £9 each depending on how long after the end of March he keeps them for me.

If you need more info just get back to me - ok?

ilenny
Many thanks for the information i will contact my nearest supplier. No doubt i will have other queries. Once again thanks.

AdwWalton

No problem whatsoever mate, just drop me a line, If I can help I will.
I am no expert mind you - just done lots & lots & LOTS of reading on the forums.

Check out these forums too - they are very good for advise?

http://greenwelliesbalertwine.myfreefor ... 2cf620147c

http://forum.rivercottage.net/viewforum ... 75d6f6710e

Copy and paste them into your web browser, one is a friends forum and the other is River Cottage forum.
I find them great for just readying through etc, great people that know a lot about chickens etc.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Let me know how you get on PLEASE!
Report to moderator 86.1

noreiuka
Hello

Ive just got a Black Rock and a White star, and introduced them to my 4 other Hybrids this weekend, the BR settled in niceley, but the WS is gtting hassled by the other 4

The new birds seem to get on together though

e mail me if you want an address in Yorkshire for BR's there were plenty left