Disaster

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Disaster

Post by OldForum »

mrspepperpot
On
sunday one of my chickens was looking very poorly
she just sat in the house looking miserable not wanting to eat or drink. I checked everything I could think
of mites, her crop etc. Yesterday her breathing seemed
very laboured so I took her to the vet.
He checked her over and was going to give some antibiotics when she had a massive seizure and died on the table.
The poor vet said he was glad he hadn't had the chance to inject her otherwise he would have thought it was his fault.
I'm very sad about her she was only 2 and a lovely chicken I only have four and am worried about the others now. Any ideas anyone ? I cant help feeling I've done something wrong. The vet said thats birds for you!

Mo
No use feeling guilty about it, though of course you will.
Think of the happy times she had, scratching around, compared to her battery cousins.
I've heard that this happens sometimes for no obvious reason

christie
Hi, if the rest of the ladies look all right I would try not to think about it. She probably had organ faliure or some other kind of natural cause of death. Nothing you could have done.
She was lucky to have had a good life with you, don't be sad.

Richard
Fine words indeed Mo and Christie.

This often happens right out the blue and for no apparent reason.

But you have to see it in a way that we are simply creatures as well and the same often happens with us - one minute OK, the next.....etc.

Take care, Richard