Chicks

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

Chicks

Post by OldForum »

Janet
Have two six week old bovan nera chicks. How old do they have to be before they can go outside? Heres hoping someone can help. Janet

Richard
I've never had chickens that young, but I can't see any reason why not.
As long as they can't fly over the top or squeeze through any gaps etc.

If it's a big enclosure, maybe build a makeshift smaller one inside it.

Maybe someone else has had this experience?

Cheers, Richard

esskay
They are liable to be bullied by the other hens when let out and i always like the roof to be netted, have lost them to sparrowhawks in the past which is quite upsetting. If mum is very protective then they should be OK - sylvie

Janet
Thanks for answering. They are on their own - bless. Don't have any other chickens and they are in a rabbit hutch that has not been used yet. Have loads of room and have put bedding in the hutch. Will try them tonight and see how they go.

Richard
Sorry Janet, I read it wrong. I thought they were in a shed or 'house' part of an Arc and 'going out' as in the pen or open area as such.

I reckon you'd be OK, but maybe put them out in the morning, then they have the day to acclimatize themselves.

Or.....Do a 'hardening off' and put them in the Porch or somewhere else colder than the house, but warmer outside.

I think it's just avoiding extremes.

Janet
Thanks for helping. They have been outside in the hutch for a couple of days now and are doing ok. Seem very happy when I go to see them. Will let them out in the garden for a little while tomorrow and see how they go.