Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by sandy »

The four newbies have discovered they like mealworms and corn but were totally flummoxed by corn on the cob!
I have a feeling Charlie is top girl now in the cube area
Audrey and Veronica, Ronnie has not been being very nice to poor Fay so has had a lot of scolding!
You can see Fay;s left eye closed, she has had her eye cream all week but it has made no difference. She nibbled at a bit of sweetcorn today, a bit of wet food and drank but has moved only a few feet mainly sitting down with both eyes closed, bless she does little boks. This afternoon I was alarmed to find dried blood on her right nostril so cleaned it and put gentian violet on, she sat very still so that is a very bad sign. She has her follow up appointment at the vets tomorrow night, I just hope she is not suffering too much as I have to work all day.
Lottie still needs her toes manicured every couple of months
Dottie had a couple of weeks of broodiness as usual
Love this expression on Ronnie's face, she is constantly sumo up to Charlie!
Rita Woo is aggressively broody, Fay had been making broody noises for ages but never was? Rocky had to have a LOT of muck cut around and off of his nether regions, Mr Ped is going to give him a bath tomorrow as some muck is too close to his skin
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lost Fay Wray tonight. For over a week she has walked very few steps, her left eye has been closed and she had no appetite. She was booked in for 18.15 tonight , I was already very emotional but expected Chris the vet to say well after a dose of metacam followed by septrim and her eye cream not a lot else he could do for her. He examined her all over, still no signs of problems in egg department even though she was a daily layer and had not laid for weeks. Her chest was clear as was her mouth and crop, maybe we could give her some sort of complan food to build her up. So no the dreaded situation I would have to make the decision. She had actually put herself to bed before we went up ignoring her absolute favourite treat Trill and I knew her life was just miserable so I made that heart wrenching decision. While Chris went to get the consent form she got on my arm, wings full out like a bird of prey. Chris seemed a bit disappointed with the decision which upset me even more. When I got home I began to feel really bad, but I had videod her this morning(never to that with sickly girls) , I went down the girls house and played it back . Thank goodness I did , whatever was wrong with her she wasnt having a proper life, so sad , I am sure her eye must have been giving her pain. Bless Audrey , she went to bed early which set me off again as Fay was her snuggle bunny.
Wonderful people have said you must get another blue egg layer now they have got used to them! Oh yes I will just replace her yike* never be another fay Wray Woo.
I got Rita Woo out of the nestbox with her protesting with those broody hissy fits for a big cuddle before lock up. Actually didnt lock the pop door on the Peds or they wouuld melt in this heat, so Rocky will be waking people up at around 4.45 tomorrow
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Sorry to read the above. Always a sad time when hens get sick . Once mind has been made , do not look back as cannot change it and it was the thing to do for the best.
What ever you do about new hens they will always be spoiled ) more than my flock ).
I can actually say I am going through the same in my head every day.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm sorry to hear about Fay Sandy.
I've just read through a few of your posts & what Karen said about mareks has made me think. L/Lil, Louise & Fay, from what you described I do wonder if they could all have succumbed to mareks. I've had several go from it over the years & with the last one (Nettle) the vet explained more about it. It can cause tumours to grow in different places causing paralysis of different parts. With Nettle it was her legs, with Smidge his eyes (eventually his brain), with Pebbles her wing. If it was that, sadly there's nothing you could have done, & your others are hopefully immune.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Just caught up with your post Sandy and am so sorry that you have lost Fay, Always a devastating time - you made the right decision. Although it is so upsetting for us, we have to do what's right for the animals. Take care.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry to hear about Fay Sandy. I am facing exactly the same today with Tiddly Widdly. Actually, it sounds very similar to my Juno - she had myco, it was treated and cleared up but then her eye went strange. I got some ointment from the vets but within a day or so she had died.

I think if you knew Fay's quality of life wasn't good, then you made the right call. No good second guessing yourself and your instincts wil be right {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh Sandy - I haven't been on the forum for a while and was so sad to read this. I'm glad you took that video, so you know for certain that you did the right thing (which the rest of know you always would, but when it is going around and around your head it hurts so much, doesn't it?).

Sending you a big hug x
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Echo and Charlie, allowed in the big run when Ronnie and Audrey were free ranging with the Peds,Charlie not sure about it
No hesitation from Blue, she really is a Honey and Elsa combined into one! Always under my feet

Charlie may have been wary when she met this character in the big run

Hmmm what is it and will it eat all my mealworms?
free ranging Ivy,Nancy,Miriam with Suranne posing
OMG is it hot or what? The girls are eagling and panting but doing well. Gave girls icy sweetcorn, the raptors wouldn't touch them yike* ended it giving Auds,Ronnie,Lottie and Dottie extra. I am really short on mealworms, dont like giving girls corn in this heat! Not had time for shopping.
Rita Woo still very noisily broody, Dots laying every other day, raptors every day, even had 5 eggs the other day, have so many , will probably give older ones to girls as keeping them in this heat must reduce their shelf life?

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Took 30 photos yesterday but will just post 2 for now as off on hols tomorrow..
A sort of lap girl…Blue although Charlie looks like being a more likely contender.
Veronica and Echo, yes they were integrated on saturday afternoon. Took about 20 minutes, Ronnie and Charlie fought, I left them to it about 2 feet away just incase blood was drawn, Charlie cried , backed off and that was it. Echo,Blue and Delta skirted around Ronnie, she gave each one of them a nip on the head while Audrey just pottered about doing her own thing. But yesterday Audrey was sat on Delta, no pecking just sat on her! Eventuallly she stood up and Delta shook herself off and walked away. Blue was bottom of the ginger raptors and is still bottom except with Audrey. She constantly pecks at Audreys black spots and then starts attacking a hen three times her size and Audrey runs away >coc< Bless the new girls they all have their top beak trimmed off while Audrey and Ronnie very much have pointed sharp top beaks but thankfully they all are mulling along nicely. When I first let them out Lottie could see them advancing toward her door and ran into her run to sit on the broody Dottie. Lots of news will update on my cheap tablet thingy in the week (I hope)

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Have a good break , will see you when you get back.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Apologies now if I repeat photos :oops:
Well the girls are all taking this heat in their stride. They have all had new bedding , tons of DE spread about. The new girls have been wormed and frontlined (2 weeks apart for treatments) . Audrey had to have some clipping done to her frilly knickers, most unlike her to be a little bit messy. Suranne, Ivy and Rocky have been trimmed and today found Jen a bit messy unlike her too! All girls are getting on fine, loving their abundance of blackberries and wild strawberries. They are getting sunflower seeds, mealworms and a bit of trill for treats seems too hot for corn.
Funny dynamics again, Blue bottom still terrorising Audrey while Delta,Echo and Charlie who are above Blue are wary of Audrey! Back to the weird dynamics of Iris/Deirdre/Olive >coc<
Blue,Charlie and Echo
The I must lay everyday Veronica, deffo THAA
Ronnie and Echo///Echo makes me so happy when she talks, she does the teddy bear growler sound the forever missed Gwen used to do
Blue…lap girl
Charlie,Ronnie and Echo
Blue..the most annoying girl she will get under my legs and race to the door , has to be pushed back in everytime

Ronnie and Echo
Dottie has just become unbroody yesterday, was very broody here
Lottie and Audrey
and the Peds
Miriam
Jennifer
Nancy,Ivy and Suranne
The still broody Rita Woo
Rocky

Suranne and Nancy

and Smalls, the cat who terroises Sox Ped…looked after the Ped cats last week found sick wallpapering the kitchen one morning, poo decorating the hallway the next!

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , recognise the pallets .
Without upsetting you , I still can see/ remember my last visit .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Girlies all fine, Veronica still has throaty snuffles but fine. They are all getting on so well together, usual little squabbles and pecks. Echo was sumo wrestling with Dottie today, but concerned as Lottie and Dottie's legs have gone yellow? Both fine in themselves, one of them is moulting , their bed is full of them. Impossible to tell which one as they always moult without any feathers out of place >coc< Ronnie bit of muck on behind so a clip, and Lottie had her manicure as her nails never keep down.
Mr Ped re-erected the electric fence today, his girls were not venturing outside as they spotted me and decided it must be mealworm time. I held fire on the treats until 8 tonight as didnt want them getting stressed they would be missing out. When Suranne and Miriam did come out 2 seagulls flew over so they ran back in and the brave little Rocky came out and stood on guard bless him, honestly he is the only one a seagull could probably lift. Got some sand today for the girls paddling pool. I decided to mive it and wondered why I had a heavy patio style stone in the run? Soon found out when I lifted it a little head peered out, the tree root underneath had rotted with a huge hole. Not sure if it was a mouse or baby rat as it shot out and ran for it very quickly. I poured the jeyes mixture down it, put in lots of broken stones and covered back up again. Suppose now the escapee will have to find another route out!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Are you finding the jeyes works Sandy? I tried it & made not a bit of difference {mr.angry}

Legs can go yellow when the girls are off lay - the pigment that goes into the yolks can go into the skin instead. If they're moulting & broody they won't be laying so that makes sense. They'll go back to normal when they lay again. Dory Greys legs go yellow when she moults )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Sandy/Karen. Just a comment regarding the Jeys Fluid. Think it was June who recommended it originally (thank you June). I was worried about the amount of mice I was seeing in the chicken run. I have been using the Jeys (once a week) for a couple of weeks now - pouring down any holes I could find. Must say, I think it has worked. Still see the odd one, but on the whole things have improved and I am putting it down to the Jeys Fluid. Really enjoyed seeing your photo's Sandy - lovely girls. You have a really lovely set-up and garden - very envious.