My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi unfortunately he has been removed from advert so not getting CC junior.....
Keep looking for a breeder .
Rare boy was CC ....
Bob

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bob have you got a broody? Because there are naked neck eggs for sale on Omlet
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Karen , Yes I have lots of broody hens , I have seen it and in communication with EHSAN .
6 eggs are being ordered.
I have a problem as when you hatch chicks you do not get hens ... What do I do with 6 boys......
So yes I am stupid . This breed is RARE ..
So 21 days after arrival I maybe seeking help and advise ....
Maybe in time for the Meet up....
This is totally against my wisdom but it will not be the first time I have done it....
Bob
PS Mrs Woo is still in there fighting (anything that comes near .)
Jack had his first mud bath in a year . He was at it for all his free ranging time . Other 2 boys was out after him till 11.00pm when I got home and locked them up .
Champ / Desmond good and the flock are moulting and only 12 eggs tops a day.
Goldie is friendly . Lit-al-en (Beardie ) is after mealworms . A couple of broody hens . I think either JOAN from Croydon or Litalen will be the mums , maybe both can share the eggs.
Mrs Woo is eating about 60-8- sweet corn 50% with pellets inside plus cabbage a day.
Young girl from up the street (Ukrainion ) is outside the house stroking the dogs and chickens .She was terrified of the hens , but now feeds by hand ( Sweet corn )
She is going Skiing soon .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,well I have done it , eggs being posted on Monday , Only hope Joan or a volunteer hen decides to be broody . Always ask Goldie or Litalen even Moe to help out .
Not sure this is a good idea .
Trans . Naked neck chickens are a rare breed so maybe I will become a supplier of rare breed birds (ha ha) .
Mrs Woo still doing well , pasta and sweet corn stuffed with pellets for breakfast this morning .
Flock had a frying pan full of pasta , beans and mince meat /sauce for breakfast as well . Did not take long to clear the pan.
5.00am I got out of bed , noisy boys . Work late start so took the opportunity to have a lay in...
Rec`d new leg rings . nr. 1-100 in blue and white (200 ) Some of the flock have lost originals and some have not had any . Hope I will be able to work out how many hens etc. are in the garden......
Having lost a few over the last month .
Moulting is rife in the flock .
Desmond has lost a few feathers and the new boys have lost a few at the rear end . Worrying time as when I come home feathers are about and looks like a girl has gone , but they are all running around happily .
Bob
Suggestions on names for any chicks that are hatched would be appreciated . see what happens as the saying goes don't count your chickens till they hatch.....
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , good weekend , Mrs Woo still eating and drinking . Still giving her Meds.
4.30 am wake up call this morning, getting later.
Pretty quite all round .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Good luck with the Bob, will look forward to your hatching diary! I've not had much luck hatching eggs via the post, praps it depends how they've been handled on the way. If it doesnt work for you I saw a few N/nks in preloved.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Ooh Bob sounds like you are going to have a lot on your plate(and I don't mean literally)
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Package sent and I am waiting .All good , got more baytril and Metroznadole arriving today to be picked up for Mrs Woo. What to say about her , she is eating 80-100 sweet corn and 40 plus have pellets in them . Cabbage per day . Seem the boys are awake 30 min`s later 4.30 AM . Litalen and Goldie are on the nest again and Joan is in the other coop end .
In the med ward I have a young starling (I Think ) It has a bad leg . Still alive when I left for work . Put there last night. I will take to Orsett Animal Hospital for check over .
Rest of the flock seem ok.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Recd , Only trouble stopped in middle by a car thief at Lakeside . Not happy bunny now .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Status 2 eggs with each hen Goldie , Litalen and Joan . Tried putting them in the med ward but was not happy. So let them out and then when they went to the coops I put the eggs under them /near. Still with the eggs . Trouble is the other hens will lay eggs on them and I will have to sort them out when I put them out for food and water .`NN` marked (hope it does not rub off)14th Aug is the expecting day. See what happens . May live to regret ....
Mrs Woo ate 70 plus sweet corn stuffed with pellets this am . More meds bought yesterday .
Let jack out this morning for a stretch . Forgot the sliding door was open and Desmond and Jack made contact with each other . Fortunately I was there . Thought it was strange for a hen to be fighting with Desmond.
No harm done .Soon put back in the run and coop . Noisy this morning 4.30am must be the heat as well making them uncomfortable.
Well all good long may it last.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

you'll need to try & seperate them Bob, the chicks will need different food.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Joan got of her nest (pressure from a Spec hen ) and went dust bathing , dose not look like she was going back in a hurry. Left her food and water but she did not eat any. I put the 2 eggs under Litalen and Goldie . Goldie got of her nest for food and drink , her toilet functions. Soon went back on to her nest. Litalen has not moved from her nest no extra eggs. So now 3 eggs each.
Bob
When I put them in the Med ward they were not happy . So let them out straight back to their nests.
Only thing is the other hens lay extra eggs in the boxes.
When or should they hatch I will have to separate them entirely.
Bob
As for food cross that when they hatch . Farm shop sells it.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well 2 days to go and I am off for a week . So will not be writing , Hope all are well and have a good week.
Ring the girls with numbered rings next week so I know how many I actually have .
Blue the boys white for the girls. 1-100 , should be enough. Fun doing the 2 new boys without getting shredded.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Litalen stretched her legs ate sweet corn on her normal spot , goldie came out as well and stood around . wondered if she was going to go back , she did .
Champ has become step dad , to the eggs , He stands at the box entrance of Litalen when she goes off. Litalen showed her tail feathers and head down growling at him on the roof of box as she could not get in. Champ moved and she popped down and made her self comfortable . Leaving food at the nests for them to munch on . I want them to come off nests to stretch so will keep an eye on them . Have to check the eggs under them or else the others will deposit more .
Joan has given up sitting so pleased I took her eggs away and distributed between goldie and Litalen.
Mrs Woo fed /watered . Eating plenty of food water , on going , Jack awake just before 4.30am took to bed and we slept till 05.40am (Well late this morning . Normal routine we looked out the window to see if my van was still outside , watched for the cats and activity in the street for a little while (missed the sun coming over the houses) Took back down stairs and back to his pen. He is a real good lad and has not pecked . scratched or misbehaved at all. He would make a lovely pet like Desmond .As for the other 2 last night I had a fight with one and the second joined in and I had to defend myself with a yard broom. It is totally down to me going to the hens run and feeding them. The boys defend them to the death. I caught the boss boy and had him under my arm and walked around the garden , with his mate attacking my legs. God help the fox that goes near them , they would kill it I am sure.
Put the boy down and retreated to the kitchen. Lock them up when they go to roost.
Loved to let Jack free with Desmond and Champ but they would fight and not being there all the time , vet bills to say the least would happen.
Home later water and feed .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh cripes! I just counted 21 days from yesterday, your chickies are due to hatch around 15th Aug! I bet you'll be fretting to rush home & check on them when we have the meet up a couple of days later.
--Immanuel Kant