My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , well Scramble Junior is doing well and being put in her place by old hens as normal , young upstart.
Last few days , first day of break Pom Pom was not behaving good. Easily picked her up , which was a bad sign for starters. She had bubbles in right eye . In dog cage with Evil , she just enjoys company . Meds and tylan water . Yesterday she was clear of bubbles and she wants out with the flock.
Maybe Sunday she will get let out again.
Jack was crowing 4.00 am this morning and ended up on my bed for a hour and half and not a peep.The other boys was still calling him though. Why Saturday /Sunday when people are resting .....
He started crowing as soon as he went out again at 5.45 am.
Rats score 4 cat me nil . even with a telescopic sight and 20 feet away miss by miles.
had a target practice yesterday and could not get past the 6 ring . It has a up / down and side to side ...
Had to get a gun cover as well to go out of the shop. suggested light targeting but I am not going full marksman etc.
Not my best option but it is a problem now to be sorted.
Flock good weather bad and ground a swamp/bog . Girls loving it.
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well this week I have lost time and days . Did not know what day it was .
Actually nearly turned up at work a day early.
Well all was good till this morning and I found one of Simon`s White Rangers Last of them ) sitting in the big coop . I thought it strange , the weather being bad , but the food was down and she had not rushed to eat . So picked her up , again strange as catching her is a rare treat for me . Well I put her on the dog cage as Evil and Pom Pom was still inside as not got to let them out yet . I Went to get some food and the med`s. I got back and she had poo`d yellow liquid . First thought is EYP
egg laying trouble . Well she got all the med`s I had and a good dose of Metacam .
She has a purple comb , which seems to be getting brighter . Same med`s tomorrow and see how she goes . Rest of flock good , Scramble running around chasing the Collar Doves .
Rat s - still 4 to nil . Rats winning by 5 holes.......
Got a message yesterday but read tonight that hens need homes in Essex . Left a message to ring in the morning . said 10 hens if needed homes . hens for the Two Terrors . Not sure if the hens will appreciate there company , I know Jack looks after his hens well . Have to keep them apart as 2 boys and 10 hens would be asking for trouble. Jacks home and the cockerel a dood1e Hall .
bring the number`s up again over 40 .
Not nice I know but my flock is 50 per cent aged now and I guess they will soon fly over the bridge even though I do not want them to.
if the thoughts of those on the forum can be sent to my White Ranger in her time of need it would be appreciated.
Champ is slowing down in his old age as well but still can get to the highest roosting spot in the Cluckingham Palace .
So more up dates next Wednesday as continuing my break . 4 shifts left to do before Xmas .
So have a good weekend .
Sandy I saw my bank statement , You are due a refund next time I see YOU.
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Sending get well vibes to your white ranger Bob, hope she improves soon. >fi< >fi< .
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope you Ranger gets well soon Bob. I hate it when they have egg laying problems (I've had my fair share of it). Sending get well soon vibes and best wishes.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob huge >fi< for your ranger who now has a name...Simone after her previous owner
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , sad news my White Ranger died on Monday night in her sleep. She had spent a couple of days out with the flock , (Meds in morning ) , but unfortunately I think the egg curse got the better of her.
She did have a good life and I will miss her white feathers in the garden.
Pom Pom is now a house chock with Evil . enjoying the good life it would seem .
Evil is a lovely hen and though cannot see much in front of her beak can see distance . Enjoys looking out of the window .
Scramble Junior is taking up chasing the collar doves around the garden as she is now being put in her place by the older flock top hens. Sleeping with Desmond , Goldie , Moe and a few other hens in the run mid flooring area.
Rats still the same . Digging out the run parts to put reinforcing lower into the ground and rocks and wire . Also more wire around the top parts of run to reduce the size . Coops need re-wooding as well as they have chewed way through . Clear out the store room side and generally good tidy up/.
well that is a plan .
3eggs a day when I am lucky.
Did not get any hens last week end to late ,but been told all the hens got homes so that is good .
Offers of other hens around so may take it up .
A part from my loss all pretty good as the boys allowed me to sleep well past 7.00 am in the morning . Only crow early when disturbed by cars and neighbours getting up .
As a work day I got them up this am . Locked up till later in the morning .
Hope all are well .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sorry to hear you have lost your White Ranger Bob. As you say, she had a wonderful life with you and to go in her sleep is a very peaceful end. Regarding your rat problem, have you tried using the Jeys Cleaning Fluid and putting it down any holes and around the boundaries of your coops? It was a suggestion that June put on The Forum a while ago and as I was having problems with mice, I tried it. Touch wood I have not seem any mice now for a long time. Glad that the rest of your flock are doing well and even giving you a lie in until 7:00 am - Winter time does have some benefits.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi will have a go , but they are climbing on roof and going through the wire and running along perches etc.
Come to the conclusion that what ever ground level defence plans I will come up with they are determined to get in and will eat any wood on the coops to succeed .
it is what it is unfortunately .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , I am arranging to collect some hens from BHWT next week .
For the Terrors who need some company to look after .
10 at the most . Available if any one needs them near Cambridge and Milton Keynes .
let you know what happens next WEEK , Tues (NIGHT )
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob so sorry about Simone {hug&kiss}
CC jeyes, diluted mind you is fine when not raining and of course not anywhere near the hens.
Bob are you getting the hens in the dark >coc<
Get some mortar to fill the holes......
and you may be getting something nice in the post from The Pink Ladies )x(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy no , I am on the night shifts Mon and Tue and off till Jan .
Anyway best time to put the boys in with them as they can cuddle up in the coops.
All good , creeping around the garden at 5.00am feeding the flock . pulled the sheet up and Jack and his hens staring at me through the wire .
My hens are hungry girls in the morning before sun rise . May be that it is colder now and they need to refill crops early . Or just so eager to see me in the morning . Left the sheeting down on the runs as keep cold and wind out .
raise the sheets later today let the sun in.
I hear crowing in my head at night and when I go to the back of the house quiet . Sure they are playing games with me.
Bring on 5.30 pm and I can go back to getting up at 7.30 am .....
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Bob. Just a thought that might help with the rat problem. I bought a few months ago a rat proof feeder. It is called Pest Off Chicken Feeder by Homgar (if you google it it will come up). They hang in the coop and only the chickens can get to the food as when a rodent tries the port hole where the food comes out closes. To be honest I haven't used mine - yet. I tend to take the normal feeding bowls out each evening so that there is no left over food available for rodents. I think the idea is if you take away the food source, they may look elsewhere. They are quite expensive, but it may help with the problem and there is no waste of food through spillage - apparently. Good luck.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Thank you,
Have just got down payment on 10 new hens from Godmanchester . Collect on Mon-Tue next week.
So The Two Terrors will now become separated and have new reason to live and not crow about.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well looking for 11 girly names that begin with S
Simone is 12 th .
I have fell in love with her as she was on the passenger seat all the way home .
She is a bit bare and pale colored .
Sandy
Sue
Susan
Shirley
?

Well two on the hens are fully feathered and can not believe they are same rescue .
Had to evict Evil and Pom Pom out of the dog cage ,moved out to the coop that Scramble and mum`s stayed in growing up .
Clean it up and they are back in doors as if nothing had happened.
The new hens are in cockerel a dood1e Hall . Terrors are in the garden run/coop next to Jack . They could not understand why they was not let out to go back to their night quarters.
Desmond was eyeing the new girls up but did not come to close . Jack just kept his hens away from them . The hens , feathered ones was making the normal Tophenanal moves on the others . can not blame the bald hens from keeping out the way . As featherless I put them all inside the coop part . You should of heard the complaints they was making . The favorite hen (navigator ) Simone of the 12 sisters was up at the top looking out of the door chirping at me as to say what is going on . They have to be locked up as to cold at night with no feathers .
sad to say that at the rescue center they was having dead hens being found in the morning. Also they was being treated for bumblefoot , which they said they operated on as well . some other problems as well . They had the poorly hens ringed so they new what treatment and which ones was not going out . They had 14 other hens in need of homes as well .
if anyone has a day spare it is well worth a visit as dogs cats , rabbits ferrets and other small creatures plus stables a visitor center and cafe and things to buy , second had boxes leads and bowls and many other things as well.
I enjoyed the day out .
Another chapter in the flock of Penelope and Red .
One more night shift for me then it is Xmas charity night shifts .
wishing all a good Christmas and a healthy flocks in the New Year .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well the last of the years write ups . Another one of incurable chicken sickness.
My new hens are hungry , noisy friendly , bald , been spoiled by many people , hens.
Champ I am thinking would be a good guide to the rules and reg`s of the flocks of Penelope and Red.
One of the Terrors walked round to his night quarters and could not understand why he was not let in . He did show off in front of the hens but only a couple watched him.
they come to me as soon as the door opens and look for the food bowl.
Hope feathers grow quick . They could without pulling each others out as well.
Scramble Junior has a full time job chasing collar doves as 15 at last count in garden .
Have so many cuddly hens that come for attention it is unbelievable pom Pom and Evil have settled in again and glad not to be out in the bad weather . Evil has a banana a day . Takes from my hand (with my fingers sometimes as well ). if I put her back in the flock I would miss her . Pom Pom is just a friend to her and get on so well she does not want out either .
Egg count has gone up now to 7/8 a day .
Best to all .
Bob